Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nixon Pennys

DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
Anyone else seen the Nixon Pennys before? They come in 2x2 holders and say "And getting smaller". I just bought one from the flea market and it's a miniature 1964 memorial penny.

Kind of a fun thing to buy for a quarter.

I'll get some pics up later.

-Daniel
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Comments

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else seen the Nixon Pennys before? They come in 2x2 holders and say "And getting smaller". I just bought one from the flea market and it's a miniature 1964 memorial penny. Kind of a fun thing to buy for a quarter. I'll get some pics up later. -Daniel >>

I've seen them. There is a dealer in Terre Haute, IN that goes under the name "Coin Cottage" that sells them, but I cannot recall the price, but they're really cheap.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an entire set of "Nixon coin" miniatures that came out in the early 1970s. I’ve got a set of them somewhere. If I find them, I’ll post them.

These tiny reproductions of the then current coinage were a political satire on the runaway inflation that average Americans had to endue during “Tricky Dickie’s imperial presidency.” Nixon made the situation worse by imposing wage and price controls that resulted in shortages for many goods, and frozen wages that that hurt working people and largely benefited fat cat business executives.

(Yes, I am a registered Republican, and yes, I think Nixon was a lousy, dangerous president who got less than he deserved. He should have gone to jail.)
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • could you post some pictures of the set your talking about?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file