Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jamie Franki has an Exhibit featuring Liberty and Coinage Design (NT vs AT display I made is there t

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
The exhibit will be in Salisbury, NC. Here is the address and a press release from Link for the exhibit. GALLERY HOURS: Tuesday-Saturday 10-5.

Waterworks Visual Arts Center
123 East Liberty Street
Salisbury, NC 28144

"Upcoming Exhibitions
September 2 - November 5:
Liberty, symbolic images of freedom by Jamie Franki
Coinage Design for the US Mint, original sketches and finished compositions used in the design of the new circulating coins by Jamie Franki
Paintings by Kevin Calhoun
Opening Reception: Friday, September 9, 2005, 6-8pm"

Jamie Franki, the artist who designed the Bison on the 05 Jefferson, recently asked me to give him an artificially toned set of Bison nickels, along with a write up, to include in the art exhibit he is having. Jamie lives about 20 minutes north of me, he had been at our coin club two months ago to give a presentation to us and him and his wife sat next to me during the club meeting. We were talking during the meeting and I ended up giving him a set of 5 nickels in a Whitman holder that I had AT'd for the YN's the month before (I had given the YN's a talk about how to detect AT and had put the Whitman holder together with a yellow coin, an orange coin, a purply red coin, a purply blue coin and a blue coin in it). I just happened to still have the Whitman holder with the coins in it in a briefcase that I carry to coin shows and to club meetings. He liked it so much that he asked me to make another set for him to display at his upcoming show. I decided to make it an educational AT vs NT display because I figure there will be at least some new coin collectors drawn to the exhibit who may not know that AT coins exist. Here is a picture of the display I made up for Jamie.

Here is what the write up on the card says (Thanks to Magikbilly for helping me with the wording)
"The Progression of Colors on Artificially Toned Coins

The colors visible on the coins above were produced by Thermal Oxidation, a process involving heat, atmospheric gasses, copper and nickel. There are no pigments or dyes used. The colors are generated by a transparent oxide film grown on the surface of the coins. The thickness of the film dictates the color perceived as light passes through the film and is reflected off the surface of the coins. Similar coloration phenomena can be seen in nature when viewing a rainbow colored oil slick on a wet road or in the iridescent colors of some insects.

The coloration on these coins is called "artificial toning". When coins are artificially toned through Thermal Oxidation, the progression of colors goes from the untoned nickel to yellow, gold, orange, reddish-purple, bluish-purple on to blue and ultimately grey as the film grows thicker. Not all of the colors of the visible spectrum are produced by this method. True red and green are not produced.

Coins can also tone naturally over time from similar film formations involving sulfur from packaging materials, atmospheric gasses and moisture. Genuine toned coins have a more natural appearance and, when attractive, enhance the eye appeal and the value of collectable coins. Artificial toning, while sometimes attractive, often appears manufactured and does not add to the value of collectable coins except as a novelty. Often, artificial toning is done to deceive novice collectors by hiding signs of damage on the surface of the coin, and to add value. Therefore, coin collectors should learn to be able to recognize the appearance of artificial toning. One of the most effective means of learning to recognize artificial toning is to compare known naturally toned coins (see below) with known artificially toned coins as in this presentation. By handling a number of both over time you will be develop an "eye" for genuine color and the way it appears on the surfaces of coins."

Supposedly the display will be set up along with some other coins that people from my coin club will be lending Jamie in a side room at his exhibit. I'm not sure if Jamie will change my display any or not, an officer from my coin club delivered it to Jamie for me and I told him to tell Jamie that he could use it as is or make any changes he wants to to make it fit in with the other displays (I think he will probably, if nothing else, add a better made card with the writeup on it).

By the way, rumor has it that another artist besides Jamie who has designed a different coin for the mint will also be there for the opening receptionimage

Comments

• Hi MrSpud!

Looking good! Looking GREAT!

Is that your copper foil stuff in that box as a backing? Brilliant (or toned..) idea image

The article is fabulous image

I am also glad to see the genuine coins for comparison.

Great work!

Maybe you should do somthing about......wood next! image

Best,
    Billy

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Yeah, that is a piece of my copper foil in there. I thought a nice AT'd rainbow copper background would be appropriate (and it might help protect the coins while on display image).

• << <i>Thanks. Yeah, that is a piece of my copper foil in there. I thought a nice AT'd rainbow copper background would be appropriate (and it might help protect the coins while on display image). >>

Good 'ole sacrificial anode...... image

I for one appreciate all the time and posts you have made that educate people about safely storing coins and such. A tremendous contribution with many posts over time. Bravo!

Billy image
  • Bump 'cause it's worth a look.

Billy
  • Nice presentation! The article you wrote for it is a very good read. Nice coins too!image
    TTT - In case anyone is in the area. The gas shortage seems to be over, so check it out if you get a chance.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great display. This is going to be very educational for new collectors to compare what a NT vs. AT coin looks like.image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• You should make these in frames and sell them. i would love to have one hanging on my wall.
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That is really cool. I like that sort of stuff. Who owns the display? That would be a nice thing to have in a collection.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
    Thanks. I've thought about making a few displays with the AT coins for educational purposes with the letters AT counterstamped into the AT coins so they don't end up on E-Bay or in some TPG holder. You think that is a good idea? I was thinking of calling them ARToned™image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file