Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another common colored Morgan going for moon money on eBay...

The thing is, I have one with a nearly identical color pattern with no hits and minimal chatter. Should I put it in an ANACS MS65 slab (based on the pics in this auction and an ANACS MS64 I have on hand) and get paid? I like the coin, but this auction will near $200 for an MS63 example. Imaging what an MS65 might do.

1884 O Morgan

Comments

• I have a 1884 0 ms64 (star) ngc with similiar toning (better IMHO) maybe time to sell....

Naw, I like it...
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    IMHO the one on eBay has far better than average color and is worth a premium.
  • poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    That's not exactly "moon money". It looks to be nicely envelope toned and accurately graded. The current bid of $184 is not out of line.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Looks like about the going rate for coins with that kind of color to me...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I think the price is right on.
  • Gem quality Morgans are actually slightly uncommon. More so if they have full rainbow toning. And then it's 50-50 if it's on the right side. This one seems to be just an average common date, but it is rather attractive so perhaps a premium is worth it. Who wants a boring white MS63 '84O anyway for 35 bucks?? Sorry, $175 (or whatever) isn't "moon money" these days for any special or extra eye appealing Morgan.image
    morgannut2
  • Interesting perspectives. I bought my example from an old fella at the PAN show last May for $35. He had a few of them. I liked the color and needed an 1884 O so I snapped it up, but I'm thinking if people are willing to pay such a premium for color I'm probably going to let it go. The funny thing is that I posted a couple of (rough) pictures of the coin here when I got it and the response was ho-hum.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice looking coin. Worth a premium? I dunno. I'm not a Morganite or a toning freak.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    Ok color (pastel)- kinda baggy - wholesale is less than $100 / retail is maybe $125 - no real upside as nothing spectacular that makes you "want" to buy that coin. JMHO
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I think the color is very nice, but I wouldn't have dropped that much on it.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, yes a bit baggy but it's a 63 and looks just fine for the grade. Good strike for the date and grade.
    I think it's very attractive for what it is. Notice shipping is 5.00, what would some other folks charge for this.... 10.00, 12.00?
    Image I have no doubt is exactly what you will get. All said and done if attention wasn't brought up in this thread I was
    thinking of grabbing it for a Birthday present for a YN relative of mine.

Of course I should have still jumped on it as there were a lot of hits on the site after this thread. And I should have known
    some of the "thrifty" fine folks of the forum wouldn't want to pay too much and possibly look like a fool to their peers.image

And hey no fingerprints!!!! That's what's wrong with it huh? And OMG, look at what holder it's in. Whew, glad I passed on this one. Haha
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

• << <i>That's not exactly "moon money". It looks to be nicely envelope toned and accurately graded. The current bid of $184 is not out of line. >>

Seems a little high for the coin to me. If that price is accurate...I know I need to have my Morgans graded!

Neo...image
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I'm not big into toned coins, but I'd pay that amount for that particular coin.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I like the toning. The face looks a little marked up. I think I agree with the grade.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file