Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The problem with Heritage's images-too dark?

First of all thanks to everyone who replied to the thread about the Missouri commem.

Anyway, here is my problem with Heritage's images, they usually show off toned coins as too dark, take a look at these two examples which seem to be the same coin:

Missouri #1

Missouri #2

In image one there are actually two sets of images, the top set makes the coin look much lighter than the picture of the coin in the slab. Sorry for my rant, but the point being is that this coin probably looks spectacular in hand, but the images are just terrible.

Also interesting, this coin sold for $8,337 in 2003 and $17,250 in 2005.

Comments

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of my coin's different images which I took image: One just shows horrible scratches on the holder and the other is much more pleasing. In my opinion, proper imaging means "everything" when trying to promote a nice coin.image

imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I needed (and still need) a 2x4 in MS66 .....that particular coin failed to sell in auction, then was seen on some dealer sites or Ebay back in 2003, and eventually it was purchased to fill a hole in a registry set. I have never seen the coin in person but the toning dot on the cheek seemed very distracting for the assigned grade. The key to properly graded Missouri's is the cheek, which once banged up or rubbed disqualifies the coin from gem MS65 status no matter what the holder might say about it.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file