Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First coin show in eight years!

I just went to the coin show in Bossier City, LA on Saturday (first time I've been to a show since I was about 13!) and had a good time. I had no money to spend, but really enjoyed all the great coins there. I got to hold a 1907 High Relief St. Gaudens $20 (NGC MS62) and a (don't remember the year) Proof 68 Cameo Barber Quarter (was gorgeous!). I also got to hold a ten ounce gold bar! Very neat show. Saw a beautiful Barber quarter with blue and red toning around the edges of the obverse and reverse, but I have to pay tuition soon so I knew I couldn't buy it.

I was surprised by the number of third-world slabs I saw. Many of the companies I had not even heard of before. I expected PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and a few ICGs. I saw very few ANACS or ICG. Saw one ACG, but there were a lot of slabs that I have not seen before, like NNC (don't remember what it stood for). I'm pretty shy so I didn't shoot the breeze much, but I enjoyed window shopping!
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

• Options
    You are lucky. My local little monthly coin show is almost exclusively raw Morgans. Very very few certified morgans.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know Paul Pons from Louisiana Coin Exchange in Shreveport?
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    When I was about 12-13 I used to buy some stuff from LA Coin Exchange, but I eventually moved and don't remember any of the dealers there. They were always quite nice--I do remember that.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there where so many 3rd tier slabs. At my local show most dealers have PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slabs with a few NNC or Truegrade. Recently I've seen a decline in the number of PCGS slabs, but there have been more of the NGC and ANACS slabs. (Once in a while I see an ACG slab, but they are few and far between.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Steve, I'd say the majority of slabs were NGC. There were still quite a few PCGS slabs (in fact, that was about all some dealers had), but I'd say NGC outnumbered PCGS by about 3 to 2.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>I got to hold a 1907 High Relief St. Gaudens $20 (NGC MS62) >>

We're all dying to know... how did that plastic feel in your hands??? image
    Thats cool you got to go to a show, Im in New Mexico and the nearest show (which would probably be tiny anyways) is 1000 miles away image
    Even with no money to spend, at least it was something cool to do! Thanks for sharing!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file