Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

So who here won a Reg. Set Award & what did you win?

Just curious?

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, there are many very fine collections mentioned. Here's one that caught my eye.

<< <i>DRG - Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1979-1981, 1999)This is another one of those rare, perfect sets: 100% complete and every single coin is a Pop Top (including the unique-for-the-grades 1979-P and 1981-S). The owner of this set began collecting in 1994 and looked through 70,000 1981-S SBAs to find his MS67! Now, that's dedication! >>

Awards Link
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    1957 and 1958 mint set.... Mine and my wife's birth year set.
  • Options
    1980 mint set, my birth year and my first award from PCGS!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Prooflike wants to know what you win when you get a Registry Set Award.

For example, do you win a certificate suitable for framing?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>1957 and 1958 mint set.... Mine and my wife's birth year set >>

That 1957 Set is Awesome! I'm happy at #2 right nowimage
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Got some #1 ranking acknowledgement, but no Top 20 Awards. Last year I got a Best New Set award for the Proof Series 1950-1964. I upgraded many of the coins and manage to hold onto #1 in 2005. The competition for Top 20 Awards is growing. There are so many really outstanding sets now.

Oh, well. I'll keep upgrading into 2006.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options

<< <i>...do you win a certificate suitable for framing? >>

Remembering last year, I'd say "yes". image
  • Options
    eyeeye Posts: 81
    Got one for my State Quarters image and one for my 1943 Birth Year Mint Setimage
    D.M.
  • Options
    I got ripped off last year for a Best of the British Sets and now someone else gets it this year. image

Still got a Number 1 set 2 years in a row.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what I get but certainly hope it helps when I decide to sell my Finest All-Time $10 indian Gold Registry Set.

My $10 Indian Gold Registry Set
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    You will never sell those gold indians....thats just wild "hype type" and you know it.. I got "hall of fame" honors despite selling out on my proof barbers complete dimes/qtrs/halves...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    I won as "The Best Modern Set" in 2004 with my Kennedy Proof Set and this year with my "Modern Proof Set" with 100% of DCAM coins (the only one in registry)

That's nice and will be a great motivation to try to put together the "Perfect Set" as Steve did in the Ike Proof Set, my other "secret love".

Edson
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this year with my "Modern Proof Set" with 100% of DCAM coins (the only one in registry) >>

You still don't have all pop tops, though. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks for the mention Edson, and congratulations on your achievement, with good luck on your "perfect" goal.
    Bruce: I don't do caps much, but: CONGRATULATIONS, HOF-ER ! (again) image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scher: I thought you had to be retired 5 years before winning hall of fame honors?

Oh, sorry, that is BASEBALL. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

#1 1970 Proof set (tie)
    #1 1935 Mint set (all by myself)

#1 VIP shopper with American Express -- priceless image
  • Options
    I won the award for six mint sets: 1989, 1983, 1982, 1969, 1951 and 1934.
    These mint sets are fun and not very expensive to put together but often
    not easy to find top coins.
    My best set is my 1898 Proof Set
    which is a beautiful set with a half that is going back to PCGS to see if it can
    get a CAM next to the grade.
    Ron
  • Options
    Bruce,

Guess I will have to croak or "sell out" before I can make the Hall of Fame! You at least deserve it! I am just an investor turned numismatist and can only talk about 20th Century Gold. I know nothing about any other coin or series. I am still trying to figure out if its a man or a woman on the Barber coins!

• Options
    Russ,

Yes, I need to find the 3 "top pop" to reach the perfect set.
    One of that I know where is.... image
    I just need to convince her Dad to bless our marriage. image
    The others two I count with the friends to help me.

Edson
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Those Indians are quite the set..I have seen a few of the rarities and have sold complete sets for what a key coin or two would be worth in those 10's....a 13S in 66? I didnt even think there was such a thing..that set belongs in the hall...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even stay in the top 20 in mercury dimes
    I can't think of being #1
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Bruce,

Thanks for the compliment! I am still tweaking the set. The 13-s in MS66 was actually bought from Heritage in an NGC MS67 holder. I have been told it is equivalent to the Stack's Michael's coin which went so cheap last year. Someone got a great deal at $125k plus 15%. I paid over $200k for the coin....

I have been asked to display the set and may actually do that.....

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    My main set of gem mint state barber halves is still firmly in third place, no awards there.

However, my 1904 proof set that I bought intact with one purchase gained me the best set award for the third time. It helps that it is the ONLY 1904 proof set listed in the registry. image

A bit of irony here if you catch my drift.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1939 Mint Set, 3rd year in a row. And no, it's not my birth year. I'm not that old! I just happened to have most of the coins anyway, and filled in a couple of gaps. I've thought it might be interesting to have sets for every 10th year, like 1929, 1939, 1949, 1959, etc. Maybe someday....

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Recognized for one of the most improved sets award $5.00 AGE Uncirculated Set.

Jim Chandler
  • Options
    I think I won 7 in the Mint Sets from 33-47 and 14 total awards. Next challange is to get top ranking on all the Mint Sets from 33-47.........it's my goal for THIS year!
    Hey Mike, take a pic of that award for the 35 set image
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys,

I got a "Most Improved" registry award for my Lincoln Cent wheat collections.

Stewart
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    Captured one of the Most Improved Set awards for my Liberty Seated Dime set. I don't typically post on the PCGS Registry Forum. Just took a look today by chance. Didn't make it to SF ANA this year.

Dismeguy
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    I won a few awards this year....My proudest would have to be 2004 Mint Set (I still have two top Pops left to make or find) and my 2000 Mint Set which was really a tough set to bring to #1, I was very close last year, and had it completed but it still didn't cut the mustard after being #1 for close to 6 months.

My favorite set is Circ Strike Sacagawea Set as I am up there with Mitch and CGC.Not sure that I will ever tie either of them but it is still a very nice set and one I am proud to have put together.

I owe allot of thanks to several people here whom have helped me build these sets, either by their guidance or making available "that special coin".

To them....Thank you......... as most of you know who you are. I have met some really cool people here and have made some very good friend whom share not only numismatics, but life, with me, as I do with them.

Good Luck to all this year in what ever your collecting goals may be. (As for me, well, I am probally going to try a 2005 mint set - and keep working on my Sac Set)..................PS, I really would like a 2003-D in MS68, Please contact me immediately if you locate one.............Thanks all, Walt

And to answer the heading "So who here won a Reg. Set Award & what did you win?" I got a star next to my set and thats all I have seen, I may get a peice of paper with the set name, but haven't received anything yet. I do however like the star.

Cheap Plug: Looking for a 04-D Keelboat 5c in MS68, 04-P Kenn. 50c in MS68. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I welcome offers of either one.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a certificate for the #1 Jefferson Circulation Strike (non-FS) 1938-64 set
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I picked up an award for the top Kennedy set - in large part thanks to Edson Santos selling his excellent set to me and allowing me to hand pick between his set and mine. Now I am working on my other proof halves to compete a 20th century run on proof halves.

parke
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Rick Snow's Alaska Bingle awaard - best new set or something like that.

Link to Bingles

I felt like I was at the Hasty Pudding award ceremony when that one was announced! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have liked to see the bingle set. I also remember them calling Dennis for his Jefferson's, but he was not there.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis had said he would be there, but forgot he had previously committed to bowl in a tournament in Chicago. Probably saved a lot of money by being in Chicago instead of at the ANA.

Oh... and the bowling was not pretty.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now remember him saying he had to bowl.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053