Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like Cardinal's 1794 $ did not sell.***CORRECTION: Sold for $1.15 million****

Reserve too high?

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Only on bid (floor bid) at $980,000. That's it. Not sold.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I was watching through live bidding, thought I saw a number of bids and that it sold. But, I might be mistaken.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just couldn't scrape up the funds.

The slave traders wouldn't purchase me, my wife and my daughter.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Mark, I'm just looking at their website, on what's sold and what's not.
    I might be wrong about the number of bidders, but bidding is closed for the lot, and there is no hammer price.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANR is one of the few sites that lists hammer even if reserve isn't met.

Looks like it got to 980K w/o selling.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    At a million bucks, and while very high quality and among the best, it just seemed unnaturally white to my eye---not that I could afford it.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    How much is Greysheet for that coin?

Just kidding. image
  • Options

<< <i>How much is Greysheet for that coin?

Just kidding. image >>

PCGS Price Guide says $675K.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury, and without collectors, we can spend/melt our collections/inventories." - Julian Leidman

nice quote
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    The representation that I used wasn't all too happy with the overall outcome of the auction. He believes that the reserve was indeed too high.
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    Forget Grey sheet with coins like this. Heritage just sold an NGC 61 for $747,000+... Blows away Grey sheet.

Cardinal and ANR did sell a Million dollar coin though.....
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options

<< <i>The representation that I used wasn't all too happy with the overall outcome of the auction. He believes that the reserve was indeed too high >>

Only 2 of the 61 lots are currently posted on the ANR site without winning bid amounts next to them. Even if those two went unsold - and yes, I realize the 1794 was the most valuable coin, by far, in the collection - that still means 59 out of 61 coins (or 96.7%) met the reserves.

Additionally, I bid on a small group of lots at price levels well in excess of any reserves that might have been in effect, and was still blown out of the water on most of them.

If the representative "wasn't too happy" because he thought reserves were too high, I think he was at least somewhat out of touch with the market.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The representation that I used wasn't all too happy with the overall outcome of the auction. He believes that the reserve was indeed too high >>

Only 2 of the 61 lots are currently posted on the ANR site without winning bid amounts next to them. Even if those two went unsold - and yes, I realize the 1794 was the most valuable coin, by far, in the collection - that still means 59 out of 61 coins (or 96.7%) met the reserves.

Additionally, I bid on a small group of lots at price levels well in excess of any reserves that might have been in effect, and was still blown out of the water on most of them.

If the representative "wasn't too happy" because he thought reserves were too high, I think he was at least somewhat out of touch with the market. >>

The reserve comment was related exclusively to the 1794 specimen, I believe it was more in the form of a hissy-fit also. image
  • Options

<< <i>Forget Grey sheet with coins like this. Heritage just sold an NGC 61 for $747,000+... Blows away Grey sheet.

Cardinal and ANR did sell a Million dollar coin though..... >>

You know we're just kidding, right Lloyd?
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    The 1794 bid to $980,000. Doesnt mean Cardinal will say no to that bid in the end...

• Options
    And most of the dollars that sold went for strong money, I believe.
  • Options

<< <i>The reserve comment was related exclusively to the 1794 specimen, I believe it was more in the form of a hissy-fit also >>

Ok, so he's not necessarily out of touch with the market.......He's just a...... hissy-fit thrower.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The reserve comment was related exclusively to the 1794 specimen, I believe it was more in the form of a hissy-fit also >>

Ok, so he's not necessarily out of touch with the market.......He's just a...... hissy-fit thrower.image >>

Nothing personal against him (As he reads these boards), but he definately has a tendency to do so image
  • Options
    Wasn't the less famous no stars 1796 $2.5 MS-65 Gold piece that went for $600,000 or so in 1995 in this Sale? I wonder if it sold?
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't the less famous no stars 1796 $2.5 MS-65 Gold piece that went for $600,000 or so in 1995 in this Sale? I wonder if it sold? >>

Went for $1.38 million.
  • Options
    Wow, it was sitting at $500- or 600,000 for awhile on Internet bidding. That's a nice double, even after fees. image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    The website shows it sold for $1.15 million. Is that incorrect?

CG
  • Options

<< <i>The website shows it sold for $1.15 million. Is that incorrect?

CG >>

It appears to be sold afterwards, slightly more than the $1.127 mil ($980K plus BP), when it closed.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    All the CARDINAL DOLLARS SOLD!!!!!!

1794 1.15 million

Some of the web auction prices went higher after the site said sold. I think if you go to the site now, you can see finals

Edit: I now see where there are about 5 to 6 blanks in the Prices realized. My information came from a dealer on the floor. So all did not sell.

But I would believe that they will.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was blown away on all 5 lots I tried for. I bid over 40K on lot 7, the very nice AU58 FL 1795 dollar. It sold for an astounding $64,400. Graysheet is like $20K.

I saw the coins at Long Beach, many were extra-special nice.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the sale. The coin hammered to a dealer on the floor at $1 million.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    <<You know we're just kidding, right Lloyd?>>

I should of known, with you guys!!! Well, then. 2 more coins selling for over 7 figures, and the beat goes on....

Total sale proceeds for the Cardinal Collection over 8 million. He may be giving most of it to his charity...

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cardinal portion appears to be more like a little over $5M - congratulations to Martin.

I was blown out on my Libertas. image I figured $70k plus the juice for a coin I sold him at around $20k was fair - but alas, two other bidders didn't agree! image

There's just no spread on the 1794's. It's like a 1913 nickel [a PR64 goes for $3M and a PR66 goes for $4M].
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will the ANR pre-ANA lots be posted? There are quite a few cool coins in that one--even some for those of us that buy coins under $1M.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When will the ANR pre-ANA lots be posted? There are quite a few cool coins in that one--even some for those of us that buy coins under $1M. >>

John. K told me a couple of weeks ago he was still working on the catalog.
  • Options
    photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    The catalogue is on the presses, the lots should be on line next week, most likely Tuesday. Some very "pretty" coins in this sale, wait 'til you see the color photos!
    Jenna
    ANR
  • Options
    The catalogue is on the presses, the lots should be on line next week, most likely Tuesday. Some very "pretty" coins in this sale, wait 'til you see the color photos!

That's the problem, Jenna, I can't wait! imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather amazing how impatient the Internet makes us image
  • Options
    No kidding. Is your surgery over yet? image
  • Options

<< <i>There's just no spread on the 1794's. It's like a 1913 nickel [a PR64 goes for $3M and a PR66 goes for $4M]. >>

Yes, those pitiful little spreads of a mere $1,000,000 really annoy me.image

On a more serious note, TDN, I do get your point.image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, rule of thumb we 'classic collectors' use is a doubling in price each grade. Just a starting point that obviously does not apply to 1794's, 1913's nor [on the flip side of the multiples] any darn gem seated dollar I've ever tried to buy! image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    ANR has good photos I think.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Martin. I had planned to go to congratulate him in person, but I was too tired to drag my butt into Manhattan tonight. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Congrats to Cardinal.image
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the 1794 Dollar, it was awesome!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    Anyone see which dealers were bidding on the floor? I wonder if more than two people were interested and had dealer representation?
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file