Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confessions of a Coin Doctor.... The HepKitty exposed!

LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
I will reveal my secret.... I am a closet coin doctor, and I love coloring these big ol silver coins...

All of these were inserted into a Dansco Album to help with this 'toning'....

Simply put fresh ASE's in the album and forget about them. Then check em many months later.

See, you too can be a coin doctor!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
"Senorita HepKitty"
"I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Comments

• Options
    Cool, how long did it take to tone 'em?
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    What's with all of the Lucy threads tonight? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭
    Is that AT or NT?

Does it matter if I do it on purpose, or by ignorance?
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, how long did it take to tone 'em? >>

Well, us coin doctors hate to reveal our trade secrets.......

ASE's are a purer form of silver as opposed to 1964 and earlier coinage. And silver is highly reactive to sulphur and 02.

So these will tone faster!

They have been in this album for 9 months...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    tsk, tsk, tsk......I'm tellin'
  • Options

<< <i>tsk, tsk, tsk......I'm tellin' >>

Honey, don't forget, I'm one of the few here whom knows what you look like...

I'll get you baby!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Howdy LucyBop, I would imagine it would take many years to achieve toning like thatimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks toning on a ASE or any other reciently made coin looks strange and unnatural? Always looks like the coin had some help.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Am I the only one that thinks toning on a ASE or any other reciently made coin looks strange and unnatural? Always looks like the coin had some help. >>

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    HepKitty -

I rcently sent in my Peace and Franklin collectons to PCGS for grading, they were in DANSCO albums for 10-14 years and all were RIM toned just like you SAE !!!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Tom
  • Options
    I think they look great!!! I've got some silver in an envelope on a sunny windowsill. Think they'll tone OK??image
  • Options
    Rockin Rainbows, Lucy!

Ken
  • Options
    I've had some in Dansco albums for about 7 years and nothing.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Where are the Hepkitty exposed pics image

But those have nice toning, maybe I should go buy a Dansco
  • Options
    I think that the ASE's look a lot nicer with that rim toning. I think I'll get a Dansco album for mine.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucy, are you holding those in your hand? Your skin is so smooth & shiny! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    This toning stuff is strange indeed. I have about 10 or 15 Silver Eagles that are kept in a metal box here at the house. I looked through the box the other day and noticed that one of the eagles has turned bright yellow - the others looked as silver and shiny as can be.
    I've been waiting for a thread like this to ask why one coin out of many would spontaneously start toning. And no, I don't live at the base of a volcano like the guy on ebay.
    So... why?

Edited to add that the coins are loose and not in albums although two of them are in some kind of plastic from a gas credit card promotion. The coin that is turning color is loose.
    How 'bout them DAWGs!
  • Options
    ttt
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are the Hepkitty exposed pics image

But those have nice toning, maybe I should go buy a Dansco >>

Yeah, the thread title is a bit suggestive.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Those things will often tone like crazy when left in some of those snap-shut, velvet gift boxes - no plastic holder around 'em. Go nuts!
  • Options
    Makes me wish I had kept my eagles. Had them in a dansco too and probably would have nice rim toning by now. How long did it take for them to tone?
  • Options
    This is going to sound strange but I put some proof Frankies in a dansco a while back. I should check on 'em.
  • Options
    Its been roughly nine months, they tone pretty fast....

It isn't monster toning, but it is very appealing rim toning...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Argh. I just bought Dansco's for ALL my moderns (Lincolns, Jeffs, Roosies, Washs, and Kennedys). Was hoping my bright coins would not tone, as I prefer natural coins. I've also added the Dansco "non corrosion" boxes to hold the albums and keep them in an airtight container with dessicant. Now I'm contemplating taking them all out and putting them in Airtites....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>Argh. I just bought Dansco's for ALL my moderns (Lincolns, Jeffs, Roosies, Washs, and Kennedys). Was hoping my bright coins would not tone, as I prefer natural coins. I've also added the Dansco "non corrosion" boxes to hold the albums and keep them in an airtight container with dessicant. Now I'm contemplating taking them all out and putting them in Airtites....Mike >>

you probably want the intercept shield albums...

supoosed made of inert material.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options

<< <i>This is going to sound strange but I put some proof Frankies in a dansco a while back. I should check on 'em. >>

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    You should be spanked for AT'ing those coins! I hereby volunteer!!image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr LucyBop.....I am due for my annual physical check up.imageimageimage

Very cool toners.image
  • Options
    ttt
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    NICE COINS MINE HAVE BEEN IN A DANSCO FROM ONE TO 13 YEARS STILL WHITE AS SNOW SO IT MUST BE THE AREA
    GRUMPY OLD MAN
  • Options
    Hey, a boner toner! Sell 'em to Anaconda for megabuck$!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whoa, doctor!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I had my ASEs in one of those blue Whitman Albums. They all toned like that, but it took quite a few years. ~10.

I sold them all as a set last year on eBay. The guy who bought them was very pleased
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    That 57 Frankie is the bomb!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file