Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I found in change today!!

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
I found this 1959 lincoln in some change today. I wonder how long it has been floating around or if it was spent from someone's collection. What are these type of errors going for? -Dan

edited to add: the error is the thinner coin next to the normal Lincoln. It is the same diameter as a normal cent.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a mangled 1959 cent to me, not an error.

But I could be wrong. It is rather interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I didn't tell you that the coin is thinner than a normal cent. I have not weighed it yet but seems to be very much lighter.
  • Options
    Here, so folks don't have to look at your attachments in separate windows.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struck on a split-before-struck planchet. Those striations on the obvious and the weakness on the reverse corresponding to the thickest points on the obverse are fairly distinctive.

Unfortunately, this is one of the more underrated fairly-obvious error types, and it looks like yours has seen better days. Even in nice condition they don't seem to go for more than $10-$15 or so.

Sorry!

jonathan
  • Options
    Hey, if that's true, then it's still a pretty nice circulation find!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    I get a kick out of finding oddball stuff in change. About a month ago, I put about 2 dozen dateless buffs and 4 very worn out Lib nicks into our coke machine here at work. I hope someone finds them and gets as charged up as I do when I find something like that.
    imageimage

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a 1937 buffalo nickel in change today, from a hospital gift shop! Quite a few oldies shop there, I'm betting this one came from a change bucket.

This is the coolest find since a 2002-D Sacagawea from a vending machine.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Here, so folks don't have to look at your attachments in separate windows.

image >>

I dont see any images just squares with little red x's in them!
    imageCollector Of All U.S. Gold Coinage!
    Antique Soda Bottles And Antique Soda Related
    Advertising, and many other collectables!
    Life is too short, I might as well buy Gold while I'm still around!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file