Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Near-Complete Set & 1970 Topps Near Complete set - Question on value

Local show had a newer guy there who has a near complete 56 Topps set (short 11 cards, Mantle being the only big one) I would put the majority of the cards at Ex/Ex+. The Jackie Robinson, Williams, Koufax, Mays, Aaron etc are probably all Ex/Ex+ as well. Worst card is probably a VG+, best card is probably NM.

He is asking $1400 for it. Is that a decent price without the Mantle and in that grade?

He also has a 1970 near complete set (short 18 cards I believe) only major card missing is the Mays. I would put the majority of that set at NM with the worst card being a Ex and the best being NM/Mt. Very clean set, good color. He wants $400 on that set.

If I was to take the plunge on a set registry, the 56 would be one of my favorites to attempt, and a near complete set, even in low-mid grade would be a fun set to do for me.

Is either of these a decent deal at these prices? He also has a mostly complete 57 set but some of the cards show obvious water damage, he said some of them actually had mildew on them that wiped off, but you can feel the "roughness" in quite a few of the cards, though they look fine eye-appeal wise anyway. Well centered, pretty good color on the borders. I did not get a price on that one yet.

Any thoughts? Is this too high, am I stupid for not having jumped on them yet? image

Would love to hear some feedback, though most everyone is probably on vacation this weekend...

-Josh

Comments

• Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881
    I would say that the price is fair but not a steal by any means.It also depends on what the 10 other cards are.THe checklist and team cards would set you back a few hundred more if those are the ones missing.Also,Mantle will set you back 3-4 hundred or so in low grade.I would check out e-bay and compare as there are a few sets there right now.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i think it would be worth it...you could focus on those 11 and THEN..upgrade. 56 topps is the collectors set. No real high numbers...a tough 3rd series out of 4 but not compared to the high numbers in following sets. There are a few tough cards from the set that you should make sure are decent before you buy:

Irv Noren, a yankee
    dale mitchell, an indian
    mr. george zuverink, a orioles pitcher

there are some more but those 3 were my toughest commons.

TAKE THE PLUNGE IF YOU LIKE HOW THE CARDS LOOK......if you might not sleep....dont do it.

loth