Home U.S. Coin Forum

What happened to the guy who bought the $14,000 lot on E-Bay?

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
One long thread and nothing else? Did he get the lot, not pay for the lot? Anyone know?
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• I believe he backed out of the deal on the advice of people on this forum.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He still posts here occasionally. I guess he is too busy sorting vg merc dimes to post much more.
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    You mean ChanelIslands? I was wondering the same thing! If you are out there, let us know what happened!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear he's now collecting stamps.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>I believe he backed out of the deal on the advice of people on this forum. >>

Yes, ChannelIslands posted this in another thread. The thread was about dealing with NPBs, but I do not recall who started it.
  • Yes, I am here lurking and learning on a daily basis. However, I obviously do not have much knowledge, as of yet, to contribute to any of the threads. So I simply lurk ...

With regard to the big lot, I took your advice, accepted my strike, and became a NPB. And, although it was the fiscally correct decision, I still feel bad for doing it to the seller.

On a positive note, I now have 5 Morgan MS65 CC's in my collection and 1 raw 1889 CC on the way. In addition, I have almost completed several modern proof sets in PR70DCAM. I have also become interested in errors after browsing through Fred Weinberg's site and have started to build an error collection as well which now includes blank planchets for 1c, 1c steel, nickel, dime, quarter, and 50c. Don't laugh, I also bought the WI 25c up and down leaf in MS65 (I know it's purely hype but I wanted them). To match them, I bought a WI 25c error 10% off center.

However, mostly, I have been lurking on the various boards (I read everything) and watching ebay auctions to see what the actual value of the various coins are. BTW - you guys are great! The knowledge acquired on this board alone is truly invaluable :-)
  • Coinhusker1Coinhusker1 Posts: 3,560
    ChannelIslands, really, do not feel bad about backing out of that "grab bag". You were getting screwed on that deal, and it's about time one of these scumbag sellers got caught.
  • NPB???
  • VetterVetter Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPB=non paying bidder
    Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're doing well.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    I agree with Coinhusker1. Your experience turned out for the best since you saved a lot of money, you learned a lot, and you took the advice offered here. I hope you will keep posting, asking questions here tends to flatten the learning curve quite a bit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Barberman55Barberman55 Posts: 1,605

<< <i>On a positive note, I now have 5 Morgan MS65 CC's in my collection and 1 raw 1889 CC on the way. In addition, I have almost completed several modern proof sets in PR70DCAM. I have also become interested in errors after browsing through Fred Weinberg's site and have started to build an error collection as well which now includes blank planchets for 1c, 1c steel, nickel, dime, quarter, and 50c. Don't laugh, I also bought the WI 25c up and down leaf in MS65 (I know it's purely hype but I wanted them). To match them, I bought a WI 25c error 10% off center. >>

If I were you, I would stick to certified (PCGS, NGC, or ANACS) examples, when buying any key date coin. Good luck with the raw 1889 CC.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Wise move, though I can imagine the seller is not happy now that he has to find another mark, er I mean customer.

Collect what you like, but stick to PCGS, NGC and ANACS graded coins until you get the hang of it.

You can still lose money doing that, but you won't wind up with a pile of junk.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    He backed out of that deal and bought an NTC MS66 1880-O Morgan for $360. image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool! CC Morgans are very nice, even though I don't care for modern proofs much!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Yay! I am glad you backed out of it and don't feel too bad for the seller. In fact, don't feel bad at ALL. He makes his living by scamming folks like you. Serves him right....I have ZERO pitty for people like that. That is the same kind of mentality that leads certain "dealers" to scam the little old ladies we so often hear about.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChannelIslands, really, do not feel bad about backing out of that "grab bag". You were getting screwed on that deal, and it's about time one of these scumbag sellers got caught.

Good move. I also think you did the right thing. Continue to learn and post here with questions.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    On a positive note, I now have 5 Morgan MS65 CC's in my collection and 1 raw 1889 CC on the way. In addition, I have almost completed several modern proof sets in PR70DCAM. I have also become interested in errors after browsing through Fred Weinberg's site and have started to build an error collection as well which now includes blank planchets for 1c, 1c steel, nickel, dime, quarter, and 50c. Don't laugh, I also bought the WI 25c up and down leaf in MS65 (I know it's purely hype but I wanted them). To match them, I bought a WI 25c error 10% off center.

Some very nice coins in that group. Errors are very cool image
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>I agree with Coinhusker1. Your experience turned out for the best since you saved a lot of money, you learned a lot, and you took the advice offered here. I hope you will keep posting, asking questions here tends to flatten the learning curve quite a bit. >>

pharmer, you idiot.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with Coinhusker1. Your experience turned out for the best since you saved a lot of money, you learned a lot, and you took the advice offered here. I hope you will keep posting, asking questions here tends to flatten the learning curve quite a bit. >>

pharmer, you idiot. >>

Coin Forum's POTD.image
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

I am sure some folks on here wished they had learned a similar lesson early enough on.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

pharmer, you idiot. >>

LOL - Be careful what you wish for. image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    Most interesting.

When a seller backs out of a transaction, the cry here is "Contract" "Sue" and etc.
    When a buyer backs out, he is congratulated. Where are the cries of "Contract" "Sue" and etc.?

Dismissing for a moment this particular transaction, as it is not important for this purpose
    of discussion, it just brings home to me the fact that buyers, and sellers, have no real-world
    recourse when completing a sale, when one party withdraws from it...

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994

• << <i>

pharmer, you idiot. >>

priceless.
  • Do I remember right? The thread on this lot said $14,000.00 for a 10,000 coin lot.

I have bought some lots, of 500+ coins. Never paid $500.00 for one. Although I wont say it they were worth the money I spent. I don't feel screwed either. I got some nice coins, and bullion coins silver and gold. Of course alot of junk very circ. coins as well. But that was expected.

But 14k WOOOOOW, WAAAAAAAYYYYY TOOOO MUCH!!!!!
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I obviously do not have much knowledge >>

No doubt about that.

Russ, NCNE
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I doubt the real idiot would post to this thread again.

What a chump!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt the real idiot would post to this thread again. >>

He probably will. Fletcher glories in the negative attention. Most who suffer from arrested development do.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file