Home U.S. Coin Forum

Likely source of the roofers' hoard/

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK - all have read the stories of the supposed buried treasure that turned out to be monies found on a roofing job. Anyone for a guess as to who placed the bills there? a) A criminal who died in prison. b) An earlier property owner who contracted Alsheimers disease and thus failed to pass on the information. c) A miser who had no heirs and saw no reason to tell anyone about his stash d) Someone who just forgot they hid it there.

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    e) A miser who died before he could tell his/her heirs of the money
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i imagine if the find is legitimate that it was placed there by an average citizen concerned about the bank failures during the depression. logically, the individual secretted the money away and quite probably died without informing anyone else.

i can offer two personal examples of something similar, both the result of average depression era stashers who didn't trust banks. my fiance's father hid over $10K in a mason jar in his basement workshop, money that was found only as the family was cleaning up afterwards. interesting, but a friend who was his Aunt's caretaker made the biggest discovery i know.............................

................................she was retired and living in near poverty conditions while recieving pension checks and living in her childhood home having nevr married. when she passed away and my pal's family was cleaning up, they stumbled onto some bills hidden in a magazine-------she had literally her entire front porch full of four foot stacks of old mags. when they started searching with their eyes open, the end result was over $60K in cash in the house alone with two unknown bank accounts totaling almost $300K when the dust settled!!!!! i happened to be helping in the search when some old gold coins were found laying absent-mindedly in an old piano bench.

it amazes me how that generation was able to hoard.
  • I think it was smoeone who was moonshining during prohibition.Possibly died abruptly and noone knew but him.
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Maybe a bank officer who helped himself to the deposits over the years, accumulating it rather than spending because he had decent income from work, and dying without telling anyone, even his daughter who is the current elderly owner.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Latest reports have it trhat a granddaughter of the former owner says that her grandfather made "cider" during the old days.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It was a miserly criminal with no heirs who developed alzheimer's while in prison and died without telling anyone it was there.

Russ, NCNE
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    maybe a printer printed them up during the depresion while daddy was making sum moooooooooonshine...........
  • Russ has all the bases covered!

I would guess a miser with no heirs. A neighbor died near where we used to visit my grandfather in his summer home. He lived very frugaly and never spent any money. Yet there were persistent rumors he had to have a good amount of wealth. He made an average amount of money but never spent any. His house just rotted and fell apart shortly after he died but no money was ever found.

(welcome back Keets)
  • Just think about Hetty Green,had millions of dollars while eating cold oatmeal !

heck,if i gots 20's of dollars im eating steak !
  • I also would guess a miser with heirs that had no knowledge. I call it a sickness.
    A friend of mine discovered a hoard of Barber coins that was taken to the bank by heirs that found jars in walls of his house after he died. The face amount was over $2,500. My friend made a quick loan at the bank and sold half of them for enough to pay off note and kept half for his collection. He did not find a 1901-S but I sold him mine that a cousin found for $1.00. I hurts to talk about it.
    Eddie
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was smoeone who was moonshining during prohibition.Possibly died abruptly and noone knew but him. >>

You never know. My wife's great grandfather was a town constable in Pennsylvania during Prohibition...and was also a bootlegger. He had a trap door under the dining room table leading to a sealed room in the basement where a still was kept.

At least this is what my wife's grandmother (this man's daughter) tells us. And both he and his wife died abruptly in their late 40s, him in 1929 and her in 1930, so I could certainly believe this if the family history we're told is true (and I don't think this is something my wife's grandma would lie or pretend about; she's 87 now but her mind is still quite sound, and I don't think she's the lying or story-inventing type).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file