Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think about this 1807 Gold $5 Capped Bust??

ebay item 3971524407

Comments

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    1807 $5

I like it.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin, I have it bookmarked image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Link to Ebay listing

It's nearly impossible to know what the coin is like (whether it's been cleaned or conserved or has "rub" on it, etc.) without seeing it in person. However, I bid roughly $7600 on it earlier today and have been outbid. If I saw it in person and liked it, I'd pay roughly $8000 for it with the intent to re-sell.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a good looker

abet au62 and baking sodaed/soap and watered to my minds eye
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks nice and has choice surfaces from what I can tell from the pic.

I would disagree with the sellers "original" statement however.

John
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    did anyone see the scratch on the cheek??
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scratch on the cheek is minor and is something that might be expected on a low end Mint State coin. I'd be more concerned about a slight rub or altered surfaces. A great many early gold coins have been stripped to make them look brighter to the less experienced. I agree with Mark that it is hard to evaluate a coin like this without seeing it in person.

Most early gold coins that are graded MS-60 through 62 are sliders.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A word of caution concerning coins from this seller zaa.zaa. I got a bunch of 2nd chance offerings on a PF64 seated half from someone with the same name. They may have been stalking their account to see what they could pull. This person hounded me for a few weeks telling me to send money and that the high bidder backed out. I had to remind zaa.zaa@yahoo.com that I was the 4th bidder....why did they honor me with bidders even higher (lol). I contacted the seller and they mentioned that the coin was certainly sold in the auction. I did send an email to the seller to warn them that someone was offering 2nd chance coins on their auctions.

This $5 coin does have the appearance of being cleaned.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    did anyone see the scratch on the cheek??

PCGS apparently did. I agree with the grade of MS62 for this coin. It does not look "cleaned" to me, although I would assume that it got handled just a little bit in the past 198 years, probably in the first couple.

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>The scratch on the cheek is minor and is something that might be expected on a low end Mint State coin. >>

I'm sorry Bill but I have to disagree. I would never buy or be able to sell a coin with a scratch like that on its cheek.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    It could just be the pic, but I would be concerned about the haze in the picture. It could be rubbed. The scratch would bother me, even for an MS62.
  • Options
    Will everyone who is so critical of this coin, please show us your flawless 1807-1812 half eagles? Thank you.

I would show you a bigger picture of my coin, but it is certainly not perfect and I'd hate to have you guys tear it apart.

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I doubt that scratch is as noticeable with the coin in hand. Photos have a way of making something like that stand out. It's just not that big of a deal. Maybe on a 1907, but not an 1807.
  • Options
    For me, there will never be an equal to the one I once owned. The Eliasberg specimen, graded MS 63, but it was an MS 64 every day of the week.
    Baley,
    As I am sure you know, the 1807 is the most available of the type. One could hold out for a better exampler. While they certainly are not a dime a dozen, I have seen better MS62's. They're available.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I wish it was so easy to buy early gold ( or early dollars) online, looking at a scanned picture of it. IF this coin were an honest and choice BU early half eagle it would certainly be worth more than where it is right now ( roughly 8300 and change) to me.

But there is no way I'm bidding on it as there's no way for me to tell what it is not to mention sending a check to someone I haven't a clue about except his name is , what, zaa zaa?

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, jeesh if it was that easy..............

Tomimage
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    i think it's a little expensive image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    The scratch doesn't bother me that much. It looks to have good luster in the areas protected by the stars. The luster looks lacking in the fields and high parts of the design. While I would love to own some early gold I don't love that example. I think I'd be happer with an AU coin with similar luster in the protected areas.

I think I will try to look at several in hand the next few chances I get, these are neat looking and very old coins!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Appreciate the exchange of thoughts and ideas on this piece. Nice learning experience for me!image
  • Options
    For me, there will never be an equal to the one I once owned. The Eliasberg specimen, graded MS 63, but it was an MS 64 every day of the week.

??? Hmmm...sounds like a similar statement that I just made on a different thread that promted a condescending comment...

• Options
    Trying to start trouble, John? I thought you were all about peace and harmony. For me, there is no equal to that Eliasberg coin. If I could find it I would buy it back in a hearbeat.I have been looking for three years for another 1807, and have not found one that comes even close. My statement is based on research. If you are looking for a fight little mister wannabe, I'll give you one. Otherwise keep your sensitive mouth shut.
  • Options
    LOL...Laura's lackey dropped the 'W' word. I knew it would come out.

I'll tell you what John, if you had to put a wannabe label on one of us, I would not be leading contender.
    95% of my sales are WHOLESALE my friend. I am not the one that buys coins and auctions them off on ebay two days later saying
    that they are from my "personal collection".

Nor do I show pictures of coins here on the forum, and then PM people who liked the coin offering it for sale.

You know you do these things, and I am the wannabe? C'mon.

And, who is being sensitive now?
  • Options
    I ONLY sell coins that have been part of my collection. PERIOD. Sometimes they are only in my collection for a few months, but they are purchased to be part of my collection. I've also never had the nerve to call myself a dealer like you do. I'm just a serious collector who sells here and there to help fund my hobby. Everytime I see you call yourself a dealer I usually laugh to myself, this time I am laughing out loud. What's so funny about you is that you have the lingo down, but that's it. You have so much to learn and you don't even realize it. Sorry I didn't stroke you ego in the last post. God forbid you post a coin and anyone says something other than "Gee John, you're the greatest numismatist, ever!" . YOU"RE A POSER, John.
    Now, I have to go out to dinner with a few old friends. I'll check in later to see how much fun we are still having.

• Options
    Tell me how you really feel John...c'mon...let it out. You're no daisy...you're no daisy at all.

#1. I do have a ton to learn.

#2. I have learned a ton.

#3. I am a dealer by my definition. If you disagree, dont buy from me. Laura has got you so brainwashed into thinking that dealers only come in her shape and size that you have tunnel vision in your opinion of what a dealer is. I am first and foremost a naval officer. That is my career path at the moment. If I were a part time pizza delivery boy, would call me a wannabe that, just becuase I do it on the side? Open your eyes. Big dealers have a niche. I have a niche. That is what makes this business go round.

#4. You do flip coins, quite regularly...you even flipped one that I sold you mere days after you bought it. 1888 PF65 BN Indian Cent. You almost passed but then Shylock was going to buy it. You must have done the newbie freak dance after you heard me tell you to send it to Paul. Days later...up on ebay..."my personal collection". These are all FACTS.

#5. You still have not commented about offering people coins via PM that you post here. Hmmm...?

#6. If I am such a wannabe, why do I mostly sell to dealers? If I dont have an eye, dont know how to grade, and only know the "lingo" why do people continue to do business with me? Am I hosing them? REAL dealers? Like I said, most of my business sales are wholesale.

#7. I still buy coins retail. I buy retail seated and bust half dollars. Does that make me not a dealer? I buy them because I love coins. Period.

You are the one that doesnt have a clue about the real market. There is a whole other market of big players that you dont even know about...The people that sell to the big retail dealers that you brown nose so much. I am not one of those guys yet, not even close, but I am learning and enjoying the hobby/business that I plan on doing FULL time after I get out of the Navy.

Maybe I will be a REAL coin dealer after I hang up my sword...maybe then you will stop being so condescending and start being a positive influence instead of someone that likes to tear others down.

Josborne, sorry for hijacking this thread.

John
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>little mister wannabe >>

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this going to get good?
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>ebay item 3971524407 >>

In my opinion, it's a very nice looking early half eagle in a lower MS grade.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I don't like the gash on the cheek under the eye and I can't tell much abou the surfaces from the image due to the angle of light. I do see some darker areas that aren't protected which might give it more of an AU58 look. I don't see much, if any, rub on the high points and the strike is very nice but look in the fields for some light hairlines because I certainly can't tell from the image.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Tell me how you really feel John...c'mon...let it out. You're no daisy...you're no daisy at all

John: "Look darlin'! That's Latin. It appears Bustman is an educated man. Now I really hate him!"

John, you are a great guy. Keep up the excitement! image

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Good catch Brandon....I was hoping somebody would get that!

Why Bustman...are we cross? If I didnt think that we were friends, I dont think I could bear it. *Places guns on table* "There, we can be friends again..."
  • Options
    I'm your Huckleberry.
  • Options
    Never met a rich man that didnt have a guilty conscience.

WE: I already got a guilty conscience...figured I oughta have the money too.
  • Options
    Well, that discussion went a whole different way than I thought it would image

Joe O, what do you think of the coin? Do you agree with PCGS' evaluation of the piece (based only on the relatively large an clear pictures posted in the auction, of course, unless you've seen the piece in hand) What do you think of the closing price of the auction?

thanks

PS: must be a peach of a hand! (I saw the movie, too) image

• Options
    Ok, I 'm back. I had such a great time last night that I really don't care about this dumb thread any longer. I said what I had to say except to answer your question.
    Yes, someone pm'd me and said they might like to add my bust half dime to their collection. I pm'd them back a few days later and said I might need to sell it, here's the price. I see nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, the only thing wrong is that it appears you set the whole thing up. Not sure why you would be so concerned with my business that you would have someone else pm me about my coins.
  • Options
    No conspiracy here. I just spoke with the potential buyer and he assures me that he was seriously interested in the half dime and only asked Johns opinion on the piece. I offer my apology for the accusation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file