Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you look for in a Delaware Commemorative?

Greetings, All -

I own a Delaware Commemorative in a PCGS MS66 holder. I like it - it's original, fairly lustrous, pretty clean (although there are a few ticks in the right obverse field), and I paid a fair price for it. It lacks any significant color, but I like them white.

Delaware MS66

For those of you who are familiar with Delawares, what do you think of it? Do you see anything that makes this one particularly nice (or not nice) for the grade? What would make for a particularly special Delaware in your opinion?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I like Delawares two different ways.

1st way: Mondo color. Delawares can come with some monster color with some pretty impressive tab toning. I like these the best.

2nd way: Nice original even patina with a glimpse of luster beneath. Your piece looks nice.

Markwise, I can stand to have a couple of minute marks on the high points, nothing overly distracting though. If it's toned, then I can stand marks if they have been toned over.

Here's an NGC MS66 that I particularly find quite attractive. Notice that you can still see some minor contact marks that have been toned over. Not at all obvious in-hand.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Thanks, Poorguy - That IS a nice coin!
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Hi. Nice coin. The ticks in the field don`t bother me. But you said fairly lustrous. I think I would want full or near full luster on my 66. Luster is #1 with me!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    good lustre and original white with slight above average coloration

but the most important thing added to the above which is extremely important is NO die abraison in the middle sails of the ship and also no marks or skuffs on the roof of the church

if you get these two things in an ms66+ ms67 coin you got an extremely rare and in my opinion really desirable bird even more desirable than any monster toned delaware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>good lustre and original white with slight above average coloration

but the most important thing added to the above which is extremely important is NO die abraison in the middle sails of the ship and also no marks or skuffs on the roof of the church

if you get these two things in an ms66+ ms67 coin you got an extremely rare and in my opinion really desirable bird even more desirable than any monster toned delaware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I still think great luster is the most important. Delaware prooflikes are beautiful.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file