Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Has the "Popularity" balloon fizzled out on the clad FB Roosies?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whats happening lately to the FULL BAND Roosies? I have seen very little, if any updates on the set registry and prices are falling.

I spoke to another collector who states that another high grade set (Who shall remain nameless due to confidentiality) may fall to the wayside!

This collector also stated that PCGS seems to have really "Tightened up on the FB designation. FB pops have been very steady at current #'s. I have seen only a few big time coins made ie: a 1996-D MS68FB and 2 1981-D MS68FB along with 25 or so 1981-P in MS67FB. Pop's are still on the steady increase on 1996-W's in both 7 & 8 FB.

Are collectors losing interest?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I prefer a higher grade over a FB designation any day. Maybe others think that? Maybe the lack of availability of them is causing a lack in interest? My opinion is also that the grading of moderns is tighter and it is causing people to lose interest in searching for and submitting them.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul: Here is my view -

1. Virtually no top pop coins have been made in the series in the past 6 months. In fact, from my personal experience, the clad Roosies now rank at or near the very top (right up there with modern Jeffs, Ike Dollars and SBA's) of the modern denominations in difficulty to slab the "wonder grades".

2. When top pops are made they may likely be very costly and the demand very strong for them (if even from just one or two collectors). Collectors recognize this.

3. "JHF" is a true ambassador of the series - there is really no "competition' that we often see in other series and that tends to "drive" other series. Who really is that motivated about knocking him out of first place at this point? Frankly, IMHO, when JHF picked up the finest coins from the "OnlyRoosies" collection, it may have influenced the motivational levels of some of the participants in this series.

4. Cycles develop and collectors often tend to return to the series where relative value is seen. Today, I sold a Sac dollar with roughly the same "pop" as a (20) year earlier top pop Roosie Dime for roughly 4x the price of the Roosie. Sacs are a red hot series - no question (and I have no plans to sell any coins from my personal #2 Registry set), but, the clad Roosie series, IMHO, looks "dirt cheap" right now relative to other contemporary coin series - I have little doubt the series will, once again, have its "day in the sun", especially with the interesting "comps" at this point.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I agree with you, Stooge: I used to see three or four Roosie dime threads going all the time. Now I rarely see any. And while I don't follow the Roosie prices on a daily basis, the sense I've gotten -- just from browsing through eBay looking for upgrades -- is that the prices have inched down a bit, as you implied.

Where I disagree with you is on the Full Band designation. I think in the early days, PCGS was sloppy and let quite a few coins through with the Full Band designation that clearly missed. Now, I think they've just gotten more accurate.

Maybe the early sloppiness was intentional, to build a population (and a collecting fever) for Full Bands, amongst Roosie fans (fanatics?). Maybe PCGS's greater accuracy now is just the result of more experience. But either way, I don't think they're being obnoxiously tough about the FB designation.

And HaletJ, I agree with you, too. Even though I collect the Roosies in Full Band, I think it's a totally artificial designation meant solely to bring some "heat" to collecting them. Here's what I mean:

-- When you look at the Standing Liberty Quarters in Full Head, the Full Head makes a real difference in how nicely the coin looks.

-- Ditto for Full Horizontal Shield Lines on the Shield Nickels and Two Cent pieces. Those are two designations that PCGS doesn't make but which are worth collecting for anyway, because they make such an enormous difference in the eye appeal.

-- And the Full Steps on the Jeffersons are a metaphor for a good strike on the reverse and there are many details, including doors and windows, that are much clearer on the full steppers than on the zero to three steppers. So even though you often need a loupe to tell the difference between a 4.75 stepper and a 5.0 stepper, full steps does affect eye appeal.

But the full bands have almost no impact on the eye appeal of the Roosies. The torch and lettering on the reverse are boldly struck and the difference in eye appeal between a full-bands Roosie and a non full-bands Roosie is essentially ... zip, nil, zero. An true MS 68 non-full band is almost always better looking than an MS67 full band.

So why do I collect the full banders? Call me crazy, but the Roosies were too easy before the designation. They weren't fun. There was no difficulty, no challenge to the series.

Now, with the full band designation, there are many b_ll busters to nail down, and that makes the series challenging and fun.

And Mr. Wondercoin: I have no idea what you mean when you say I am "a true ambassador of the series." I collect them and enjoy them, but it's not like I go out and and make stump speeches for 'em.

And I was shocked to learn from your memo above that the Sac's are 4 times as expensive for comparable scarcity. I don't want to offend the Sac collectors but to me, the Roosie dimes are far more attractive. So I thought the collector base for the Roosies would be MUCH larger than for the Sac's, and that would need be reflected in the prices. But obviously I'm wrong. Tis a puzzlement.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun!

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Tradtionally, Roosies, especially the clads, haven't enjoyed much notice. It has been very exciting to see the relatively recent discussions relating to Roosies. This has taken place around major Roosie sales, and discussion of the FB designation, for the most part. I think that the recent well-attended discussions were unusual, and levels may have just returned to normal. The Roosies are smaller coins, with a smaller collector base. But to me, the size of the collector base of the Roosies has always made them attractive to collect, and the group of collectors have been kind people.
  • Options
    "And I was shocked to learn from your memo above that the Sac's are 4 times as expensive for comparable scarcity. I don't want to offend the Sac collectors but to me, the Roosie dimes are far more attractive. So I thought the collector base for the Roosies would be MUCH larger than for the Sac's, and that would need be reflected in the prices. But obviously I'm wrong. Tis a puzzlement."

JHF - The collector base for PCGS coins, as measured strictly by the registry is also 2x-3x larger right now for MS Sac collectors vs. MS clad Roosie collectors. Consider this:

TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS SAC DOLLARS - 155.

TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS SAC DOLLARS THAT ARE 100% COMPLETE - 41.

TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS CLAD ROOSIES - 60.

TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS CLAD ROOSIES THAT ARE 100% COMPLETE - 9.

Indeed, MS Sacs are now one of the most popular registry sets in the entire Registry. IMHO, this create very strong demand for the finest known coins. Indeed, even a top pop MS Sac with a "pop" near 100 coins still routinely trades around $350-$400 (ex: 2001(d) MS68), yet, the same pop modern Jeff nickel or clad Roosie or clad Kennedy, etc. can sell for a tiny fraction of that price (so, it is not just the clad Roosie prices that do not "compare" to the Sacs).

As far as the comment about "ambassador" - IMHO, the reality is simply this - there are some series of coins out there that some collectors would like nothing more than to top the #1 guy for personal reasons (and set a goal to do so). There are other series where this is not the case. I have personal seen this many times in the registry throughout the past 6 years.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I believe Mitch said it very well
    Tim
    The Climbing Clads
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    PCGS, IMO, has tightend considerably on Roosies. It is really going to take an extra special coin to get a pop top grade IMO.

As for the # of sets and prices vs. Sac's: The Sac is a new coin with liitle work you could complete a high grade (not pop top) in an afternoon on Ebay. To get the nicest coins you have to hunt a little but more over you have to compete with more collectors for fewer coins. With Roosies (clad or Silver) there are so many coins to collect that it is work just to complete the set much less get them all in a very high grade. Eventually once more sets are completed the prices on the top coins will increase as collectors seek upgrades. If you are at the top already you are in the cat bird seat because there is little competition.

I do see, however, that the registry year mint sets will increase demand for a specific date but then again this across the board. I own POP tops for 1968 and don't even have a clad roosie set.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Well said Mitch....Now find me that last Sac (2003-D in 68)....I have been trying to Make, Take, Break, or Snake...........That coin for over 2 yrs now. Find me one would you........I give up.

image Walt
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS SAC DOLLARS - 155.

TOTAL REGISTRY SETS FOR MS SAC DOLLARS THAT ARE 100% COMPLETE - 41.

Mitch - There are 114 registry set collectors that have not been able to complete their sets of Sacs? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    "Mitch - There are 114 registry set collectors that have not been able to complete their sets of Sacs?"

The work never stops in the modern arena for a modern coin dealer! image

Walt - As you know, that 03(d) Sac is an exceedingly tough coin to locate in the MS68 grade. Hardly a day goes by without me thinking about that coin at least once (and how I could possibly fill the half dozen orders I have had on that coin for the past 6-12 months - you too it appears!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the turnaround time is only 38 days for moderns as of today? Not bad considering the 65 day deal I endured a short time back. Less coins being submitted? Me, I think I'll send mine to NGC for first grading, then try to get them crossed at PCGS. Maybe that way I'll stand a chance of getting a nice 65-67 graded as something other than SMS. image
    Paul.. I'm still looking for that "04P".
    Dan
  • Options
    I don't know these but I do have a question for those of you that know this series: Can a 65FB have a weaker obverse strike than a 66 no FB? I know in the Mercs that the FB coins tend to have a strong obverse strike, but not always. I have a couple of MS66 Mercs that are not FB but have a much stronger obverse than the same date/mm in 65FB.

Is this also true of the Roosies? If so, which would you rather have? Thanks for any responses.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    I have more input to this discussion which is this:

1) I think that the FB craze has died out due to the complete lack of MS FB dimes. I have read countless quotes from Wondercoin, and especially Cladking on how that for years and years, most collectors broke up Mintsets for the other "Favored" denoms and did little or nothing with the dimes. Roosevelt dimes have had little or no collecting interest for years. Rolls are very scarceand were not saved in large quantities. When I started collecting Clad Roosies, there were 12 sets, including my own with only 1 complete set. Now why is that? Because nobody cares.

2) It has also died out due to the extreme effort it takes to complete a set in FB as oppose to NON-FB. Most of the high grade stuff has traded from set to set. There are still a dozen of so dimes that still do not have a decent graded FB coin ie: MS67FB or higher.

3) JHF and RICK both have the highest graded set and have several POP (1/0) dimes and share several POP (2/0) dimes. It can be very discouraging to a collector that would like to be #1 to compete with these 2 sets. I for one will admit that I would like the very best dimes that there are, but I just can't pay these high 3 and sometimes 4 figure prices for these dimes. I am just a humble blue collar worker, which comes to my next statement.

Wondercoin...I find it difficult to hold back a comment regarding yours about JHF. You state that he is "A true ambassador of the series" and even JHF himself asks about this comment. I just don't understand where you come off stating this when (No offense to JHF) all he did was write a check for those dimes. He put no sweat and tears into making those dimes as Onlyroosies has and Rick has for the dimes they made. Also including Datentype who had made countless MS68 Roosies before they where FB. I myself have made a few dimes in my own set and others have my dimes that I have made. I understand that you CANNOT achieve the #1 ranking in a series w/o "Buying" some of the coins in that series.

I myself will give not a single person a challenge in this series due to a competitiveness that drives others, because I have only the drive to compete with myself. If that was the case, I would fill my set with all the MS66's and MS67"s w/o FB that are for sale everyday on eBay and put myself in the top 5 or so.

If the U.S. Mint ever decides to redesign the Roosie dime, I believe you may see a serious interest in this series as been seen with the Sac's, Quarters and the new Nickels. Therefore the Roosie will indeed have its "Day in the sun" again.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul: Fair enough. JHF is NOT an ambassador to this series - I stand corrected.

Wondercoin

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Let me drop a dime or two. For one at least we are talking about Roosies again so the passion still lives in some of us! I have started to collect some other coins that interest me but still keep a watchful eye on the set. I know that some guys have been discouraged because its getting more difficult to make high grade Fb Roosies. When I started my set it was more of the challenge to complete it than compete with the other members. I have moved on because I have little faith in the rarity on a modern coin. I also am a little dicouraged by the fact that the series became more a speculator market than a real one case in point the demand has decreased and less guys are wiling to pay the increased PCGS fees to take a shot at coins that may not get the grade. I just purchased a 1982-D in MS-66 Fb pop 13-2 for $65., a month ago that dime would have cost me $150.00. I still love Roosies but ther are other coins to buy. Fred

PS The next set to drop from the list will be Rick's Just a hunch!!
  • Options
    I see that a76d 66fb pop3 dime sold for $450 on teletrade last night
    and a 96w 68fb sold for $320 (a bit high for the pop) I think.
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

My passion for clad dimes has not diminished but due to having essentially 3 kids in college, my budget for clad dimes has definitely diminished! I still try to pick up a FB clad dime or two, but I simply can't bid "insane" prices. So, all I can say to the idea that prices are falling is imageimageimage!

I also agree with TAP444 (to whom I owe many thanks for his help) that the price of 96-W dimes seems high relative to the pops. I say this even though I do have a 68FB 96-W. A price of $320 for this coin when the pop is 85 seems very high, especially when you consider that these coins did not circulate. I presume that the vast, overwhelming majority of these coins are safe and sound in collectors' mint sets, so I don't consider this coin particularly scarce. On the other hand, the 76-D dime may well stay scarce and so I think its price is tad more justified!

Mark

Mark

• Options
    Thank you for your courtesy, Stooge, and indeed, no offense taken.

Moreover, as I see it, you're just telling it like it was, and I agree with you. I like the coins; the obverse especially is attractive, and the coins tone beautifully. But I don't enthuse over them the way I enthuse over the Standing Liberty Quarters or US Philippines.

So, I'm glad Mr. Wondercoin has withdrawn his "ambassador" comment.

You make one other point that's interesting ... With Rick and I splitting so many pop tops, there's no place for a budding young Roosie collector to go. There's a ceiling on their efforts, as it were. Hmmm. Something for me to think about.

Enjoy,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    I agree with Stooge...I have been trying to find a 1955-D MS67FB for ages. The POPs show that there are 40 of them and JHF even has one in 68FB. But try as I might, I can't seem to get my hands on one, and the ones who have them want outrageous prices for a POP 40 coin. image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess its about time I jump in on the post. There isn't much more I could say that Paul hasn't already covered.
    I have dealt with most of the Roosie collectors and Paul definitely has more passion for this little metal disc then any
    of the others.

As far as the lack of interest in the series I have noticed that collectors step up and start a set and once they realize
    that The FB Roosies are a REAL and collectable series they tend to loose interest. Most new comers view the series
    as a cheap fix and are not willing to commit the cash or time it would actually take to complete a top 3 set. Time being
    the key word here. At one time there were 3 strong buyers, there is now maybe one. No incentive for the makers of
    these coins to continue. Not when sacs bring in far more money. I like the stage were at right now. I continue to stock
    pile what I feel are the under valued dates for the series, and no I'm not hoarding any 96W in 68FB. Throw me one in
    69FB and I'll be all over it.

As far as a higher grade over an FB. I favor the FB. I would much rather have a solid 66FB then a 68 non-FB. I have made
    dozens of FB clad and silver Roosies and I will be the first to say PCGS's standard for what was an FB a year ago is
    not that standard today. All PCGS had to do was maintain the same standard through out. I would say 15%++ of all clad
    FB Roosies if cracked out would not come back FB. This is IMHO the main reason some of the top sets have fallen. I have
    to commend Mitch and JHF for focusing on solid FB coins. I can state for a fact that there are no sliders in the Just Having
    Fun Set. I also think it is amazing that Rick is tied for the top spot and has made over 50% of his coins. Though I am not
    building another set I am accumulating beter dates in the clad series.

JHF said...Maybe the early sloppiness was intentional, to build a population....The problem here is. Where are you going
    to sell those coins today. I was recently offered a few pop top Roosies at top dollar. Four to be exact. I was more then willing
    to pay the price, Sight Seen. I sent back 2 and kept 2 solely based on the FB designation. I used my own standard for
    determining if the designation was acceptable.

Paul said...I myself will give not a single person a challenge in this series due to a competitiveness that drives others,
    Paul I disagree. You have more passion then any other clad roosie collector and that passion given the time I know you are
    willing to give it will IMHO reward you with the number 1 set some day. There is very little if any competitiveness in the clad
    roosie series right now to rise to the top. I know of 2 collectors that have been offered the opportunity to give the number
    1 set a run for there money and have passed. The interest just isn't there right now...Right now is the time to be adding to
    your set. No one is going to get them from me right now though... Prices, again IMHO are to cheap and the true key and desirable
    dates in FB are under valued. Paul, I still say some day you will own THE number 1 set.

JHF said....With Rick and I splitting so many pop tops, there's no place for a budding young Roosie collector to go.
    Again I have to disagree. I was once told the Heller Silver set could not be beat and I almost believed it. But I never gave
    up my quest to own the finest Silver Roosie set. Its passion and dedication that drives us and I for one believe given enough
    time a top clad set could emerge. I'll sit on the side line and wait for that special person. Competition for a top spot will also
    hold up values. Lack of, diminishes value. Thats where we are at now.

enjoy the series, I know I still do. I own more Roosies now then I did when I had both my clad and silver sets.

Still
    Onlyroosies

• Options
    Ernie, I had one extra 55D 67FB a while back and sold it on eBay for $350. A price I thought was
    commensurate with the pop only to watch another sell for $485. Prices have gone up for quite a
    few Silver Roosie dates and I would price a 55D 67FB around $450 right now. If a couple people
    get interested who knows what one could bring on eBay. I'll keep my eyes pealed for you.

Nick
  • Options
    blew that message.. image
    Dan
  • Options
    "Right now is the time to be adding to your set"

Nick: I totally agree with you. While I am selling a great deal of MS clad coinage dated 1965-1998 in top grades to collectors these days, I am also buying surplus product myself to hold, like you, for a future date. We both know, a series like the Roosies is very cyclical. IMHO, it would take all of (2) or (3) new serious "players" and the coins could be "off to the races" again. We also know there are some real "sleepers" in the series in true high grade FB. So, for now, my research continues, especially as I monitor the results of 1000's and 1000's of fresh (broken up) mint sets throughout the series.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>You make one other point that's interesting ... With Rick and I splitting so many pop tops, there's no place for a budding young Roosie collector to go. There's a ceiling on their efforts, as it were. Hmmm. Something for me to think about. >>

There is a way for the collectors to after top pop coins... Make them yourself. I admit that I am new to making my own, having only submitted a total of 14 for grading. But out of the first 4 (the free subs you get for joining PCGS) I made 2 top pop coins. The 68-D ms68FB in my set, and the 95-D MS67FB that I sold to a board member. I have a very very limited budget for buying rolls, mint sets, and grading fees. So for me it's going to be a long slow process getting all of what I have set aside to the graders. Also I have been concentrating on the low pop FB's from the 60's and 70's. Where am going with all this? Well people can choose to wait for top pops to show up on ebay teletrade Heritage, or where ever they shop. Then again, don't think all the high grade FB's have been found. Some of the sellers have moved on to other series, but some of us Roosie people are in there digging for the big boys as you read this.
    Dan
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread.

It seems remarkable that there is still so little activity in this series. Yes, there are tens of thousands
    of collectors filling the blue folders they bought at Borders or the neighborhood coin shop. There are
    many thousands of more collectors seeking uncs for their sets or albums and hundreds upgrading
    their sets. The lack of activity shows not so much in the price of pop tops which will gain and fall with
    only a few collectors but in the price and availability of the run of the mill gems. Gems are relatively
    common among the dimes for most dates and this may be what's causing prices to remain so steady.
    Collectors are adding the gems but they haven't yet been able to identify the really tough ones like
    the '75-P.

There are still huge numbers of really nice clad dimes in the millions of mint sets that were made but
    few realize either how many of these have already been destroyed or the incredible rate at which
    they are still being destroyed. It won't be long until raw gems are mostly a thing of the past for most
    collectors. Th few mint sets coming on the market will be cherrypicked before collectors see them.

No doubt, as has been pointed out, time is the greatest ally of those who are building sets of these
    or holding them for the future. It is a great time to build even top-notch sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    I do not collect this series but I found this discussion very interesting. Is it possible that you are seeing a consumer revolt against the FB designation? Sure many collectors had sought FB coins all along, but those who did not and opted for higher grade, nicer toning etc. woke up one day and found that many of their coins had become orphan coins, legislated into second class status, and devalued as such. Sure some guys are out there up grading, but how many have just thrown in towel in disgust?

PS-in the interest of full disclosure I will confess my prejudice against strike designations, which IMHO allocate too much value to too small an aspect of a coin.

CG
  • Options
    "Is it possible that you are seeing a consumer revolt against the FB designation?"

CG: While I agree that some collectors are not that motivated to pay $500 for the same grade Roosie that is worth $50 without FB at this time, IMHO, I believe it is more a cyclical phenomenon affecting this series as I mentioned in my first post. And, again, it is not just clad Roosies affected. For example, MS State quarters are still quite costly in the top grades and enormously popular. The early "pop 3-6" coins can (and do) command upwards of $3,000+ per coin. Yet, the MS clad quarters from the 1980-1990's with similar pops are selling for a tiny fraction of that price. For example, a pop 6 clad quarter from the 1990's just cost me under $650 to buy this week. Meanwhile, if I wanted to (with too much time on my hands), I could by a truck load full of MS State Quarter bags to search for additional crown jewels; yet, in the past half dozen years, I am aware of roughly a single handful of MS unsearched bags of clad quarters in existence for the entire 1965-1998 series (are these coins the victims of the quarter slots in Vegas and Atlantic City?)!! If the pop 6 2000(p) Sac Dollar in top grade ever came up for sale, I suspect that would even blow away the state quarter comparison.

In short, I also believe MS Clad Roosies (especially the "one grade under top pop" coins) are relatively cheap right now. Since I enjoy the series, as OnlyRoosies does and many others on this thread do, what better time to "squirrel away some acorns"?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I was wondering when Onlyroosies would jump in. image

I have heard about the Sac and Statehood's compared to the Roosies and I have a couple of thoughts. There are several Sac's and countless Statehood Quarters in "Wondergrades" of MS69, so why not the Roosie. Yes there are a few in MS69 and MS69FB, but not compared to the other 2 coins, which are larger and tend to have more nicks and chatter on the surface then the Roosie. Is it due to the lack of effort in searching for these?

Donn Murphy has searched over 100,000 Statehood Quarters to get the top grades, so if I where to search the 1999-date Roosies, the same dates as the Statehood's, then I too may get lucky and achieve these lofty grades.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Paul I want first crack at them, when and if you make them!!! I have to get my bid in before Nick.
  • Options
    WOW PAUL.. I hope that 100,000 Wasen't in mint sets. You'ed be as cross eyed as a run over Rabbitt looking through that much mylar. image
    Dan
  • Options
    MS 69FB Clad Roosies is a whole other discussion. What is an MS69 sac worth?, and what is the pop
    for MS69 sacs. There have only been 9 clad Roosies graded MS69FB and most all are accounted for.
    Compaired to the pop and what a sac in 69 would sell for, What is an MS69FB clad Roosie worth?.

When a series gets hot its the top grades with low pops that take off in price. I have time on my side.
    My 5 MS69FB Clad Roosies are tucked away for a rainy day.....image
  • Options
    Stooge, you nailed it. Way to go man!

A couple short comments of mine:

1. Early on , when FB's were a new desig. I sought out such things and sold a few for very good money. But many are damn near next to impossible to find and it gets very frustrating looking for them! One can only spend so much time searching for the little buggers before burnout sets in. Spending all your limited bourse time looking for FB Roosies is NOT FUN! Similarly, going to a coin shop and standing there for hours looking thru mylar mint sets can be extremely uncomfortable. There have been a few "the next day" 's where I was physically exhausted!

2. As many of us are similar age bracket baby-boomers, I at least, am finding it increasingly more difficult to focus on such small coins. I find myself gravitating to larger coins with simple designs, such as Franklins.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Bushmaster8,

I totally agree with you. I have looked at countless mint sets and sometimes, actually most times find nothing, zero, ziltch to send in. I havn't found any raw stuff for a while and I'm in a drought. I did pick up a nice 1996-W which might go MS68FB. I havn't cut it out of the Mylar, but it looks as if it has that dreaded tiny flat spot on the right side of the bottom bands.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.