Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Today's history lesson: "In God We Trust"

PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
A minister in Ridleyville PA wrote to Secretary of the Treasury Chase on November 13, 1861:

"One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognotion of the Almighty God in some form on our coins. I shall propose.....the words "God, liberty, law" This would make a beautiful coin, to which no citizen could object.This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed."

Secretary Chase was moved by the letter and wrote to Mint Director Pollock on November 20, 1861:

"No nation can be strong except in the strength of God. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins."

Pollock considered the issue for more than a year, and in 1863, suggested two mottoes, "God, Our Trust" and "Our Country; Our God".

Chase wrote back that he liked "In God We Trust". Final authority was given by an act of April 22, 1864 so that the Mint Director could place the motto on the two-cent piece which was introduced in 1864.

It all started with a single person writing a letter expressing his feelings. Pretty neat.

Joe

Next week's lesson: :"Attractive Franklins and Other Oxymorons."

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

Comments

• Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I believe the letter writer, as the story goes, was somewhat persistent in his endeavor to add that motto to our coins and wrote multiple times before getting the attention he got.

Today many would see that as a blatant promotion of religion; in this case the promotion of the deity for Judeo-Christianity. It was an excuse for the government to force coins that had below-intrinsic value onto the public by allowing the public to believe that they should trust in the currency as they and "the government" trusts in a "higher power." In 1954, "under God" was added to the Pledge so that we could spit into the face of Communism which believed in atheistic principals. This is interesting stuff and literally a religious debate. Careful.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>Next week's lesson: :"Attractive Franklins and Other Oxymorons." >>

Let us not forget the distinction between promotion and recognition.

great thread.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    There's also an article in May edition of Coin World's Coin Values of how the motto was added to our paper money in 1957. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great history lesson. I did not know that is how the Motto evolved.

Some day, I would like to get an original toned pattern seated quarter or half with "God, Our Trust" on the reverse.

Edited to add: I do not want to buy one now while patterns have cooled off--I would rather wait until they start to rocket again, to match my poor timing with the other series I collect.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Next week's lesson: :"Attractive Franklins and Other Oxymorons."

This one was good, but next week is gonna be great!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    image history lesson!

Whatever rings your bell...imageimage
    3 Jonesy Dammit Girls...CLW POTD!!! 10/9/05 image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Star Spangled Banner Lyrics
    By Francis Scott Key 1814

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country should leave us no more!
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
    Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

1814 F.S.K

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LewyLewy Posts: 594
    I like it Baley........I like it very much.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the post. But alas, that was a sad moment in American numismatic history.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I think people forget that our country's ability to worship how they feel and for members of our government to have faith does not mean that our government is backed by god. While law if often drafted by morality standards which are influenced by communal philosophy if you directly draft religious standards into law literally, American Law loses what makes our country great in the first place which is its subjective neutrality. When the law segregates people who don't conform with the majorities fabricated moral standards, you get incongruous prosecution based on non-conformity without concern for justice or the greater good.
  • Options
    IbnemoIbnemo Posts: 70
    Numismaticly Speaking Of Course. image
    Love The Hobby
  • Options
    BaseballAbsBaseballAbs Posts: 2,621
    I think that's pretty cool.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You can learn much more about the motto and its origins in Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908, Chapter 6 “In God We Trust For The Other Fifty Cents.”

The letter was written by Rev Mark Watkinson from his Ridley, PA (not “Ridleyville”) home.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Star Spangled Banner Lyrics
    By Francis Scott Key 1814

...Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

1814 F.S.K >>

Used to have this in my sig line and also a link to Pilgrim Hall about Thanksgiving origins.

Good reminder!
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 850 ✭✭
    Thanks Phillyjoe for the "beginning of the saga".

It'll be something to see how long this endearing phrase actually stays on our coinage.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Thought some people might appreciate this text regarding the motto...

"I would respectfully and earnestly ask the attention of the department to the proposition, in my former report, to introduce a motto upon our coins expressive of a national reliance on divine protection, and a distinct an unequivocal national recognition of the divine sovereignty. We claim to be a Christian nation. Why should we not vindicate our character, by honoring the God of nations, in the exercise of our political sovereignty as a nation? Our national coinage should do this. Its legends and devices should declare our trust in God; in him who is the "King of kings and Lord of lords." The motto suggested, "God, our trust," is taken from our national hymn, the "Star Spangled Banner;" the sentiment is familiar to every citizen of our country; it has thrilled the hearts and fallen in song from the lips of millions of American freemen. The time for the introduction of this or a similar motto is propitious and appropriate. 'Tis an hour of national peril and danger, an hour when man's strength is weakness, when our strength and our nation's strength and salvation must be in the God of battles and of nations. Let us reverently acknowledge his sovereignty, and let our coinage declare our trust in God."

Excerpt, Report of the Secretary of the Treasury, 1863; Statement S. Report of the Director of the Mint; James Pollock, Director
  • Options

<< <i>Thought some people might appreciate this text regarding the motto...

"I would respectfully and earnestly ask the attention of the department to the proposition, in my former report, to introduce a motto upon our coins expressive of a national reliance on divine protection, and a distinct an unequivocal national recognition of the divine sovereignty. We claim to be a Christian nation. Why should we not vindicate our character, by honoring the God of nations, in the exercise of our political sovereignty as a nation? Our national coinage should do this. Its legends and devices should declare our trust in God; in him who is the "King of kings and Lord of lords." The motto suggested, "God, our trust," is taken from our national hymn, the "Star Spangled Banner;" the sentiment is familiar to every citizen of our country; it has thrilled the hearts and fallen in song from the lips of millions of American freemen. The time for the introduction of this or a similar motto is propitious and appropriate. 'Tis an hour of national peril and danger, an hour when man's strength is weakness, when our strength and our nation's strength and salvation must be in the God of battles and of nations. Let us reverently acknowledge his sovereignty, and let our coinage declare our trust in God."

Excerpt, Report of the Secretary of the Treasury, 1863; Statement S. Report of the Director of the Mint; James Pollock, Director >>

I am pretty sure that everyone knew that there has always been inappropriate fundamentalist fervor even from officials that should know better. People always try to get other people to believe in their magic space man(which ever one is popular at the time) and it is the same today as it was 20,000 years ago. It will funny a few thousand years from now to see what humans think is all powerful esp considering what other advancements in non-faith(def #2 says it all) based knowledge that will have most likely transpired during that time.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Religious messages on coins is an old story.

Islamic countries sometimes put on their coins:
    "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet".

And, of course, in British areas the King or Queen rules "by the grace of God", or "Dei Gratia".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>I am pretty sure that everyone knew that there has always been inappropriate fundamentalist fervor even from officials that should know better. People always try to get other people to believe in their magic space man(which ever one is popular at the time) and it is the same today as it was 20,000 years ago. It will funny a few thousand years from now to see what humans think is all powerful esp considering what other advancements in non-faith(def #2 says it all) based knowledge that will have most likely transpired during that time. >>

IMHO, the importance of the text posted was the concrete link it shows to the instantiation of the motto. And more abstractly, it shows that it was born of a time of great concern for the future of the Union.

For good or for ill, when times get tough many people look toward "faith". So, although my personal beliefs may lead me to believe the motto should read "In Humankind We Believe", I realize that I have the fortune of living in a far more luxurious environment than these men did. Moreover, each progressive generation has an exponentially more distant relationship to the hardships, trials, and atrocities of previous generations. This makes it is easy to mock or deem as ignorant any faith (#2/#3) of the past and, in turn, the present. No, I don't slight anyone for their beliefs, so long as their beliefs don't directly effect my ability to follow my own.
  • Options

<< <i>

IMHO, the importance of the text posted was the concrete link it shows to the instantiation of the motto. And more abstractly, it shows that it was born of a time of great concern for the future of the Union.

For good or for ill, when times get tough many people look toward "faith". So, although my personal beliefs may lead me to believe the motto should read "In Humankind We Believe", I realize that I have the fortune of living in a far more luxurious environment than these men did. Moreover, each progressive generation has an exponentially more distant relationship to the hardships, trials, and atrocities of previous generations. This makes it is easy to mock or deem as ignorant any faith (#2/#3) of the past and, in turn, the present. No, I don't slight anyone for their beliefs, so long as their beliefs don't directly effect my ability to follow my own. >>

well stated but would add the pessimistic attitudes ""it was born of a time of great concern for the future of the Union"" are a consistent in all unions at all times.
  • Options
    Religious messages on coins is an old story.

how better to convince the sheeple that a divine entity provides authority and sanction to their government's behavior control and taxation theft which robs them of true liberty?

It's very interesting and telling to note the stink that arose when IGWT was left off the edge of some presidential dollars, so that it had to be moved to a face of the coin...

yet the omission of the word LIBERTY on the coins passes seemingly without notice. Our founding fathers would be apalled.

• Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Several versions of the motto were tried out on pattern coins in addition to "In God We Trust". One of the more interesting was "Union and Liberty" on some pattern nickles dated 1867 - - - reminding the southern states which side had won the Civil War.
    Ed
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the motto (especially when it's doubled) being on coins/currency, but do consider it a blatant violation of the Constitutional separation of church and state.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It will funny a few thousand years from now to see what humans think is all powerful esp considering what other advancements in non-faith(def #2 says it all) based knowledge that will have most likely transpired during that time. >>

I think the more (TRUE) knowledge and experience we get, the more that motto will make sense to us (again).

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>It will funny a few thousand years from now to see what humans think is all powerful esp considering what other advancements in non-faith(def #2 says it all) based knowledge that will have most likely transpired during that time. >>

I think the more (TRUE) knowledge and experience we get, the more that motto will make sense to us (again). >>

Maybe but history has show time and time again that their is a direct correlation between the advancement of science and the evolution/antediluvian of theology. At one point people have to know there is no god living inside the mountain and it is really a volcano and what makes it a volcano.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It will funny a few thousand years from now to see what humans think is all powerful esp considering what other advancements in non-faith(def #2 says it all) based knowledge that will have most likely transpired during that time. >>

I think the more (TRUE) knowledge and experience we get, the more that motto will make sense to us (again). >>

To many of us, this is true, but some will not see it that way, as Crypto last stated.
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>

Maybe but history has show time and time again that their is a direct correlation between the advancement of science and the evolution/antediluvian of theology. At one point people have to know there is no god living inside the mountain and it is really a volcano and what makes it a volcano. >>

History has seen a divergence but maybe not enough history has occured to get the full picture. I am afraid the motto will be gone before that day arrives though. Listen to Hawking and Einstein and you may hear a hint of the unseen.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I shall propose.....the words "God, liberty, law" This would make a beautiful coin, to which no citizen could object. >>

That statement is false. Additional mottos do not generally improve the aesthetics of a coin design.
    And there are certainly citizens who do (and did) object.

Divine references on government-issue money are just attempts by governments to seize ultimate power, by implying
    that government and god are one and the same.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I shall propose.....the words "God, liberty, law" This would make a beautiful coin, to which no citizen could object. >>

That statement is false. Additional mottos do not generally improve the aesthetics of a coin design.

Divine references on government-issue money are just attempts by governments to seize ultimate power, by implying
    that government and god are one and the same. >>

Correct similar to the proclaimed divinity of the monarchs and rulers of yesteryear.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct similar to the proclaimed divinity of the monarchs and rulers of yesteryear. >>

Stalin and Lenin might disagree.

Edited to clarify before I get blasted. Yes, they both believed, 'religion is the opiate of the masses'. However, you would be hard pressed to find a political ideal that realized more ultimate power over its people in which religion was purposefully shunned. In other words, it is a red herring argument.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stalin and Lennin just took a different course, attempting to arrive at the same result (ultimate government control).
    The plan was, without any deity, citizens were left with only government to "worship".
  • Options

<< <i>

I would think that if government wanted total control it would not want any "allegiance competition" on it's coinage. I don't remember any of Cesars coins with "In Jupiter We Trust" but maybe it existed (in latin of course).
  • Options
    it would be tough to fit, "In Odin, Frigg, Thor, Balder and Tyr We Trust" on some of the smaller coins. Best to go with the generic, "God"

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    First denomination to bear the motto...

imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hmm.. I am OK with my understanding that no one has the wheel in life. Nice thought though terrible in uh...execution.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file