Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay sellers----Do you use "Best Offers"

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just listed a few slabbed coins and used the "best offer" feature.

One coin has a Greysheet bid of $830....I have it listed at $999 and got an offer of $100.
Another has a bid of $490 and I listed at $549. Got an offer of $300.

Has anyone has success with this feature or is it just a pain in the a$$ as it seems?
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    No.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭
    No.

Frankly it almost doesn't make sense to me. It basically says that the price I put on this item is not the lowest price I will take.

Joe.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    i know of the feature but the last few items i put up i did not see the option !
  • Options
    The other real problem is that 'Best Offer' is not a negotiation - you only get 1 shot (per item) to make an offer and then ebay will not allow you to make any more....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    If no one else makes an offer are you obligated to accept
    $100 for an $800+ coin? image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I think that service will fall by the wayside.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I had to laugh when I read this thread......do we still have the same opinions ???

I use the Best offer service and it works for me.....

AL
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I tried it a couple of times and then quit. Too many crazy low-ball offers.image
  • Options
    Only if I'm desperate and need $$$ for the next flip! image
  • Options
    Nice vintage thread. I have used it successfully on higher priced coins. The key is to set the buy it now price within 10% or so, of what you are willing to accept.
  • Options
    I have used them and got reasonable results. I sold a Dansco album full of Kennedy halves and Martha Washigton gold proofs that way. For items around $600 / 700 I get offers about $50 - 100 less, some I accept and some I counter.

One big problem is that you cannot accept a best offer after the item itself expires.

Dr J
  • Options

<< <i>The other real problem is that 'Best Offer' is not a negotiation - you only get 1 shot (per item) to make an offer and then ebay will not allow you to make any more.... >>

But the seller can counter offer and I think now you can make two offers

Dr J
  • Options
    I have never used a "Best Offer." The items I have seen it used for usually have a price that is 40-50% above current retail and then have a "Best Offer" option. I think the expectation is that using this feature is the same as fishing for a sucker, so everyone low-balls the price with ridiculously low offers.

I have used the "Buy It Now" with a reserve auction many times and set my BIN price right in line with (or about 5% higher than) the final bids on similar items in the recent past. In some cases, people jump on the BIN right away. In EVERY other case, the bidding clears the reserve price, the BIN option goes away, and bidding surpasses my original BIN price.

Just my experiences.

Eric

EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I won an item with "Best Offers" not too long ago. It had an asking price of $236 and I won it at $230.
    With item above $500, an offer of $30 to $50 less might be good enough.

I like to items listed with "Best Offers"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I use less is eBay. I don't use "BEST OFFERS" I use added value image , though !
    See my ebay as an example. I'm easy to find.
    Edit to add:
    A lot of internet users are WalMart shoppers.

Some of us don't mind paying a little more for a lot better. I will give eBay credit, they sure have a lot of layers to expose With coins image I think they suck... but for the thrill of the hunt, there's nothing more convenient.
  • Options
    The only BIN's I've had any luck at all with are MPL's. I wouldn't worry too much about the low offers though, these are are the same people that $1.37 on an $800. coin, people that want something for nothing.

J
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The Best Offer has been a Godsend, IMO, especially once ebay changed it from 1-per-item to 3. It makes real negotiation a possibility.

Also, with the autodecline threshold definable by the seller, you don't have to waste time on lowball offers.

I have sold (and purchased) countless items using Best Offer with BIN.

Best thing to happen on ebay in years.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won an item with "Best Offers" not too long ago. It had an asking price of $236 and I won it at $230.
    With item above $500, an offer of $30 to $50 less might be good enough.

I like to items listed with "Best Offers" >>

You offered $6 less? image
    I'd sell it for $6 less too....heh

Nice, old, thread, Cohodk image

Yes...I have used BIN or BO......only had 1 not sell and then it sold immediately upon relist (with the BIN slightly lower than the original BIN but higher than what I was willing to settle for image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I like the "Best Offer" feature since the change to allow 3 vs 1 attempt. If the item is in big demand it will go BIN and if not then you can get a meaningful negotiation going. I expect sellers to come down a tad with that feature and I expect to come down when I use it. Anyone who gives me an offer that is bunk gets auto declined. I'll even email auctions without a Best Offer and find out what they might take. 1 in 3 usually gives me a fair price. image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Best Offer has been a Godsend, IMO, especially once ebay changed it from 1-per-item to 3. It makes real negotiation a possibility.

Also, with the autodecline threshold definable by the seller, you don't have to waste time on lowball offers.

Best thing to happen on ebay in years. >>

WOW. I dont even remember starting this thread. But the above quote basically sums up my opinion today.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Best Offer has been a Godsend, IMO, especially once ebay changed it from 1-per-item to 3. It makes real negotiation a possibility.

Best thing to happen on ebay in years. >>

I Agree-in the right time and place-BIN works.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    <<<Nice vintage thread.>>>>

Joined in Aug 2007 with 19 posts and you call it a vintage thread?image
  • Options

<< <i>I'll even email auctions without a Best Offer and find out what they might take. >>

This ^^^ is why I started using "Best Offer" on my listings. I figured if I was going to get offers from some people, it sure couldn't hurt to get offers from more... image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    IF buy BIN was astronomical, but I don't do it that way.

i have done OBO and it ain't worth the trouble for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file