Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo Gallery and comparison of 1955 DDO Cents in Different Grades... More to Follow! Slow Loading P

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
NGC Finest 1955 DDO 1c in MS-66RD sold in March 2004 for $62,100.
This coin was formerly in a PCGS MS-65RD holder.

Here is the NGC MS-66RD when it was in a PCGS MS-65RD holder. It looks very different?

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-65RD, an awesome coin!

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-65RD, a lovely coin!

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-65RD, another one!

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-64RD

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-63RD

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-64RB

NGC 1955 DDO 1c MS-64RB

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-62RB

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c MS-64BN formerly PCGS MS-63BN

imageimage

NGC 1955 DDO 1c MS-63BN

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c AU-58BN

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c AU-55BN

PCGS 1955 DDO 1c AU-50BN

ANACS 1955 DDO 1c AU Details Net EF-40 Corroded-Cleaned (the obverse in the slab followed by closeups of the obverse and reverse)

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Those always bugged my eyes out, awsome coins though.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Love the 65RD image
  • Options
    I'm a certified newb on the '55 DDO..... why only double dies on the letters & numbers? Is it a separate process from the lincoln stamping? image
  • Options
    bgrice: There is also very clear doubling on Lincoln's lapel and bow tie. It is a wonderful story of how the doubleD die was created and the technical analysis behind why most of Lincoln's portrait does not "appear" to be doubled but the simplest and not the most accurate explanation is that the double squeeze method of producing the working die was improperly alligned clockwise/counterclockwise so that most of the doubling appears closest to the rim.

• Options
    Thanks for the answer & pics oreville. Those are the clearest examples I have ever seen. I learn something new every day that I check in and see what's being discussed.
  • Options
    That top NGC coin in MS66 looks real nice.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    That is the coolest looking coin, IMO. Maybe someday I'll own one.
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics (though my eyes were going battyimage). I'm trying to do some of that, but I need more practice.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    Thanks, post like this are great.imageimage
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Still adding more grades/pics. More to follow.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Oreville,If there was a nicer one in hiding somewhere what would your guess be on what it would bring in todays markrt?image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    bestclser1: It is my belief that there are no true MS-66RD 1955 DDO cents in that while there are some REAL red ones they all show an imperfect die with all kinds of head cuts, blows to the head including razor burns and cheekbone anD temple gouges. The NGC MS-66RD cent is no MS-66RD in my view.

I have never seen a flawless surface 1955DDO cent. They simply do not exist.

With gradeinflation what were 65's will eventually become 66's.

edited: to change anf to an AND===== what the heck is an anf??????
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely correct.The 66RD came out of an old PCGS holder and sold for about 60 k at Long Beach in 2001.(it was a 65rd holder)I have seen one that i think is nicer than that one, also in a PCGS 65RD holder.The 55DDO is probably my all time favorite error coin!
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with any of them.
    I just love the look The Best Doubled Die Ever..IMO

• Options
    Bringing this thread up to date and to remind me to add more pics.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread oreville. To me this has always been the key to the Lincoln series (besides for the 58 DDO which is basically unattainable). If I show a non collector a 22 plain or a 09S VDB the response is always the same-"It's just a penny", but anyone who sees a 55 DDO, even non collectors, always open their eyes wide and ask a million questions. It is just a great coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Nice thread. I have a problem with that 66RD. I count 8 hits on the reverse and 4 on the obverse. Am I wrong in saying that this coin is overgraded. I might be able to agree with 65RD but, I think it looks more like a 64RD to me.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    great thread Orevilleimage

How low on the grading scale do you think you can go? Isn't it true that these are tough to find in lower circulated grades, say F15?

Rob
  • Options
    66RB:

I am hopeful I can find a picture of a VG one. If not, I am sure colorfulcoins or braddick will find it for me!!! image

This is a coin that regardless of condition, any owner can be proud to own. The beauty of the doubling of the die is just as apparent in well circulated condition as it is in mint state.

After all, it is a wonderful example of how our government is not perfect and does make mistakes!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Thanks for the thread oreville! I feel the 63 then 64 have the most eye appeal. I've seen some BN coins with color that put some of these to shame. Those are the ones I would like to own one day.
  • Options
    I have added another 1955 DDO Red pictures here. It belongs to a well documented collector of lincoln cents.

Enjoy!

Note that everyone here gave permission for their pictures to be included!
  • Options
    I would much rather have that PCGS 65RD than the NGC 66RD. The 66 is looks like a 65 to me, IMO.

Nice coins though!
  • Options
    DickeyBetz: There are two different 1955 DDO in MS-65RD posted . You need to be more specific as to which one you liked more than the NGC MS-66RD unless you liked both of them equally.
  • Options
    Sorry oreville, I meant the one that is right after the 66.
  • Options
    Dicky: That 1955 DDO MS-65RD is an awesome coin indeed!

That is why I posted it here.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great post. One of my favorite all-time coins, and I'm an Indian Head cents guy. This coin has charisma and is a US classic.

It's an obvious and dramatic variety of a major US denomination. It's common enough for any collector to own, yet rare enough in high grade for none to exist without some obvious problems -- it's almost impossible to find in high grade without distracting characteristics, especially in RD.

The 65RD in this post is Stewart Blay's, one of 2 he owns in that grade. I think this is the most impressive of the two.

The NGC 66RD that Oreville posted is a coin I've tracked here since it sold for a record price as a PCGS 65RD as noted very accurately by bestclser1. That coin quickly became an overgraded NGC 66RD that never sold in many subsequent auctions I posted here by Heritage. It eventually sold for half its original PCGS MS65RD price in a B&M auction, which I also posted here. I've tracked this coin for years. I wish I had the patience to search for all my posts about this coin in the archive.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great pics for comparison!

The first one.........the NGC66.........

Is one of the very few that fully shows the beautiful doubling on BOTH SIDES of
    Lincoln's bowtie.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    I dove into the archives and found this post of mine about the NGC 66RD. The Heritage links still work but the B&M link has expired. Give me some time to find that one...
  • Options
    I found the B&M sale of this NGC 66RD coin in 2002, it was about 20K less than the original PCGS 65RD sale.

link
  • Options
    ttt - I love this thread and who doesn't love the 55 DDO.
  • Options
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I love the AU58 and the AU55 examples.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Thanks oreville, for all your effort in this thread- The comparisons are interesting, to say the least.
  • Options
    Wow!! If my parents only knew it would one day be worth that much. I found one of those in change from my milk money waaaaay back when I was in the 4th grade. I kept telling my mother I had a "funny looking penny" in my desk. Of course she laughed and told me to bring it home so she could look at it, but I kept forgetting. Kept it there for over a week before I remembered to take it with me. My parents almost fainted. I had my picture in the paper and that phone rang off the wall for weeks. If only I knew that - that would be my 15 minutes of fame... As far as I know, they got almost $200. for the penney back in '60, which was a lot of money considering the mortgage was a mere $35. a month (wow have things changed, huh?). With 7 small mouths to feed, it was like a windfall. I often wonder who has that penny now. Is there any way I can find this out?
  • Options
    LathamGal, interesting story!

ttt to request more pics of different grades to make this Photo gallery more complete.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a certified newb on the '55 DDO..... why only double dies on the letters & numbers? Is it a separate process from the lincoln stamping? image >>

Look at this set of photos to see the doubling on the face close-up...then come back here and look at these photos again. You'll see the doubling that's all over the obverse of the coin.

To answer you specifically, though...no. Everything in the design is hubbed into the die at once - in three to five hubbings. The only thing that's "added" to the die after the design is complete is the mintmark.

Now where it gets confusing...they quit "adding" mintmarks in 1989 - thereafter they were a part of the design. They also quit multiple hubbing the dies in 1996. Starting in 1997 all cent dies were made in a single squeeze of the hubbing press. This was supposed to eliminate doubled dies, but it didn't. They still happen, just nowhere near as obvious as the ones in the multiple hubbing days.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The ngc MS 66 RED that was formerly a PCGS ms 65 red is now the property of the State of Ohio,courtesy of Tom Noe.

Stewart

ps The coin may have been through NCS but it cannot be proven
  • Options
    ttt

saving from archives

Need more 1955 DDO pics!
  • Options
    Need more pics!
  • Options
    not mine, but interesting..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file