Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting test for eBays' "Code of Conduct" for selling coins

1796 Trade Dollar XF40

I'd like to believe coinguy1 - that eBay really is starting to care. This auction should provide an interesting test. I just read through eBays' Code of Conduct for sellers, and I really believe this auction should be removed, as it's obviously not a US Mint issue and seemingly represented as such (but only by the category it's listed in) ... however, playing Devil's advocate, I could easily make the case that this auction in no way violates the stated code of conduct. It's not really a forgery - you can't counterfeit something that doesn't exist in the first place. The only bullet point that might apply in the policy seems to be this:

Sellers agree not to knowingly handle or resell forgeries, unmarked copies, altered coins, or other spurious numismatic merchandise that is not clearly labeled as such.

Is a fake '"fantasy?" piece spurious? I think so, but, with my low opinion of eBay policing, I have the feeling this seller is gonna be around for a long long time.

I went ahead and used the link Mark provided to Link to report rare coin listing violations to Ebay and the ANA . Thanks for this link Mark, I appreciate the effort you and others are putting in trying to clean up eBay.
Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?

Comments

• Who in their right mind would pay $80 for this? Goodness!!! Unless he or she just wants it for a novelty piece, in which case it must be really in demand to command $80!! It never ceases to amaze me...
  • It's not really a forgery - you can't counterfeit something that doesn't exist in the first place.

It's true you can't counterfeit something that doesn't exist but you can be guilty of counterfeiting if you manufacture or utter anything that is intended to represent any financial obligation of any current country in the world.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    no such thing on fleebay it is every kook for himself by hook or by crook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file