Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 D Jefferson and Die Variety?Additional pic's Added

I cherrypicked this from change the other day. Although the scans don't show it as well as i'd like. It has almost a full 5
steps. and the date the 72 appears doubled. And it look's to be a Breen 2778, with the Obv. of 1971 and Rev. of 1971
Single pitch, and D over D RPM. The M in Monticello is doubled and the last "o" is slightly doubled and appear's eggshaped.
As for the surfaces in the fields, Is there a such a thing as orange peel surfaces on nickels?imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you possibly show a close up pic of the doubling on the date, the RPM and the doubled M on reverse? Thanks in advance
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Images added, Thanks, for your help...image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like die deterioration doubling. This is caused by the wear to the die
    caused by the metal movement over many strikes. It is usually found with the
    "orange peel" look as on this one. It will affect all design details (including mint
    mark) and is concentrated where metal movement is greatest around design
    features and near the rim.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most of what you're seeing is indeed caused by the fatigued dies used to strike this coin, both Late Die State, not uncommon for Jefferson Nickels. cladking explained it well. i've seen coins---might still have some---where the deterioration is so advanced that the effect creeps across the entire coin's surface. it often results in some scarce Full Step Jefferson dates, simply because the rest of the design elements have eroded while the seldom used step area is still intact and finally able to contact metal.

al h.image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Ditto to the gurus...
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file