Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What am I missing here? 1917 Liberty half MS-64

I ran into 2 eBay auctions last night offering PCGS MS-64 halves. Granted, the strikes on the older walkers do not have the details of the later ones, but what gives on this second auction? XF to borderline AU I can believe, but MS-64?image

Auction 1:

Auction 2:

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a weaker strike... Tumuss' photography shows off the color, as opposed to lustre. I'll be more than willing to bet the coin has ample lustre to go around. Tumuss is a board member... maybe he'll pop in to give a little more detail about the coin as a whole, not just the strike.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is one of the more upstanding menbers. And the older Walkers pre 1929 are all very weak strickes and there doesn't appear to be any hight point rubs on it. I think it's good enouph that I am going to bid on it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number 2 looks just as nice or nicer than number 1 to me. I would bid on 2.

Ken
  • Options
    The 2nd auction is not getting much interest, so I wonder if others see it as I do. The pictures don't do the coin justice if it is MS-64. I'm not saying it isn't... just not something I would bid on given the views. I've taken some photos(jpgs) of coins I've sold that didn't help the coin at all, so I just kept taking them until there was a better representation.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    This walker is a SOLID 64. It's subdued lusted and slight weakness of strike certainly kept it from 65 (perhaps some hits as well).

Photography is an art...the ebay pics are probably not my best work.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image TUMUSS,
    This picture of the New Zealand $1 I won from you was definately a "Work Of Art" on your part!!! Congrat's on an "Outstanding" photo!!!!!! Lee

• Options
    Nice Coin!! Actually both look nice. The second one appears to have more detail and I suspect looks better in hand. The grades on both appear justified.
  • Options
    Thanks Lee image

I took the outside cover off the case (which is easily slid off, to avoid glare). I then used normal incandescent bulb lighting, placed very close to, and pointed directly at the coin.
  • Options
    I can see the 17 n a 64 Holder,nice thumb on the obverse,weak strike reverse,nice toning.

Prolly very stunning in hand !
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they made 64 then the luster is probably good to very good.

tough to show that in a scan.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I can see #1 in a 64 holder as well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file