Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PVC on PCGS coins? Grades and No Grades received

In my on-going personal quest to evaluate grading services, I recently submitted a few coins to ANACS that were in Different holders. I had cracked them and this is how they came back. PCGS coins had PVC!!! I'm disappointed... image

All of these are Walkers...

1944-D PCGS MS 65 former serial # 71767696 - came back ANACS MS 64 image
1943-D PCGS MS 64 former serial # 21330007 - ANACS MS 64
1944-S PCGS MS 64 former serial # 21290984 - ANACS MS 64
1947-D PCGS MS63 former serial # 9153000 (old green) - ANACS MS 64
These are the ones that fry me...
1946-S PCGS MS 62 former serial # 3025423 - ANACS No Grade PVC image
1935-S PCGS MS 63 former serial # 21369586 - ANACS No Grade PVC image

Just for your info (and a hoot)
1935-D ACG MS 60 Accugrade former serial #ACG302376 - ANACS MS 62 image
1917-S Rev ACG AU-55 Accugrade former serial # 302363 - ANACS AU details cleaned net EF 45
And the funniest of them all:
1920-S SEGS AU 50 former serial # 5062561338300140259 - ANACS VF 35!!!! image
Plus this SEGS didn't mention any problems it just said AU 50!
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
NoEbayAuctionsForNow

Comments

• Options

<< <i>PCGS coins had PVC!!! >>

Maybe not. Not till they were cracked out and put in flips. What kind of flips do you have?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like ANACS is right in the ball park with PCGS, with agreement on some and one up & one down.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Cameron, I only use the PCGS 2.5 x 2.5 flips for submissions to anyone.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    Why would you crack the coin out? Why not send the PCGS's in just the way they are? as for the accugrade yeah I would have submitted raw- but not the PCGS...
  • Options

<< <i>Why would you crack the coin out? Why not send the PCGS's in just the way they are? as for the accugrade yeah I would have submitted raw- but not the PCGS... >>

They're not expensive coins. I didn't want any bias The 1935-S I cracked originally to be in a high grade Capital Plastic Holder Set.
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    Acetone the PVC coins and send them back in!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracking a PCGS coin and submitting raw to ANACS.......Talk about role reversal.image
  • Options
    Really.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Double check, but once you acetone those pvc coins, I believe, and I could be wrong, that ANACS has a seperate service for regrades like that.

I know they mention it somewhere on the form, but don't have one in front of me.

Yes, you can crack coins and find pvc residue. May not have been removed completely upon the initial submission and in the slab the pvc problem doesn't escalate at a rapid rate. Could also be as Cameron suggested and from the pvc flips.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file