Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"Error" Cards from the Late 80's to Early '90's

Does anyone think that a few of these "error" cards may have been purposely created to insure that early runs will sell out?

I'm talking about error cards like:

1989 UP Dale Murphy "Reverse Negative"
1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez "Reverse Negative"
1990 Topps Frank Thomas "No Name on Front"
1990 Uppder Deck Ben Mcdonald

Comments

• Options
    I have no doubt many of the error cards from the early 90s were intentionally created, that was the craze at the time. I do feel the 89 Dale Murphy and Thomas error were accidental creations. It was the Ripken Error and the Murphy error that fueled the error craze.
  • Options
    wasn't it the 91 donruss cards (the orange ones with the cursive names and black bars) where everyone was freaking out becasue there were so many variations? i remember dealers hoarding them because they didn't know how the values would be on the variations. black line through the name, stars missing, etc... now we know what they are all worth. zippo!! so yes, i'm sure a vast majority of error cards save a select few were indeed intentional.

JERO
  • Options
    and wouldnt cha know, i have a darn closet full of the 90 donruss...............

• Options
    I don't think the Frank Thomas was intentional. It didn't get much press. The Dale Murphy error might have been.
  • Options
    JERO-you are close, it was 90 donruss. like 25% of the set had a variation of some sort. almost all of the all-star cards had a variation(sometimes 3 different). the thomas, from what i hear was not intentional, as he wasn't the highly touted rookie in 90. ben mcdonald was however, and his UD variation was only available in early packs. the gonzalez i would like to think was accidental too, he wasn't highly touted either. i remember getting a few of the rev negs at the end of the year (late packs), so i would assume it wasn't a sales pitch. 90 score had a few also, the ryne sandberg and bo jackson cards come to mind.
    E
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget the begining of the error craze with all of the 1982 Fleer and Donruss errors including the C. Nettles Fleer card, and the 1982 Fleer Littlefield error. I feel that 99% of the errors out there are intentional to draw attention to their products and to hopefully inflate sales.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Let's also pay homage to Bump Wills. First time I remember anybody caring that there was an error or variation.
  • Options
    Mil,
    The major Fleer and Donruss errors are 81 not 81 but I'm sure that was a typo. All those "handds" variations in 81 Fleer had to be intentional. Some of the others like C. Nettles, Hrabosky and a few more were probably inexpierence.
    My first errors were the traded - no trade lines in 66. Geez, I'm old.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    FuturemanFutureman Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Pro Set had several errors. One I remember being suckered into was the Brian Bosworth "Seattle" instead of "Seahawks". I'm sure Pro Set went through a whole set, then accidentally forgot the design for the one card.

It seems like the only errors that still have any value were the cards that were really errors (correct me if I'm wrong). I have a "Bryon" Piccolo RC, his only card, which isn't so much driven by the error as it is by his tragic story, and probably the movie, "Brian's Song."
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    Yeah Pro Set 1989 was filled with "errors".

I remember when Price Club (Now Costco) had tons of 1989 Pro Set wax boxes along side with as many 1989 Score wax boxes...around $15 each. I bought Pro Set....and not one Score image

I also think one of the more famous "error" cards from that set was the William Perry (The Frig) card.
  • Options
    I remember when Price Club (Now Costco) had tons of 1989 Pro Set wax boxes along side with as many 1989 Score wax boxes...around $15 each. I bought Pro Set....and not one Score

I remember that too and I too bought all the pro set I could and very little score
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it that Donruss is still printing 1990 cards (or does it just seem that way?)...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rumor has it that Donruss is still printing 1990 cards (or does it just seem that way?)... >>

Mike