Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Finally got my scanner to work - lots of pics.

Well after seeing everybody else posting pics I thought I would have a go. No particular reason for these pics, just practicing at the moment.

Here we go:

More coming soon.

Matt
Matt - UK based collector

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Matt - I dig those foldees the most. I collected the "Foldees" set over 40 years ago. Although they weren't listed until the 1962 revision to the ACC, I'm certain that I had them no latter than 1960.
    The original 1956 set of "Funny Foldees" is very hard to find - here's the only card I have from that issue:

BTW - congrats on the scanner. Say goodbye to your life.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>Say goodbye to your life. >>

Yes, and I am getting married in 2 weeks so my life will be gone forever!image
    I have about half a set of the Comic Book Foldees. That one was issued by A&BC in 1968. I believe it differs from the US Topps issue because it lacks the trademark. Can anyone confirm that?

I have not seen the Funny Foldees before, I don't think they were released in the UK.

Thanks

Matt
  • Options

Krazy Kreatures From Outer Space by Primrose Confectionary , 1970. Set of 50.

Golden Wonder Space cards (round corners) 1979. Set of 14.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Matt
  • Options
    Matt - very nice old tobacco. Do you collect sets or types?

Congrats on the up-coming noose-fitting...er, I mean wedding. We'll miss you...

Re.: Foldees
    I've been very confused about this issue, even though I collected them over 40 years ago. There appears to be a few classifications, but it doesn't seem complete. Here is a list, as I understand them:
    1955/56: Funny Foldees
    1962: Foldees
    1963: Valentine Foldees (bananas)
    1965: Comic Book Foldees
    1970 (?): Valentine Foldees (pinwheels)

To be honest, I don't think this list is accurate, but it's a compendium of all the data I've been able to compile. I would appreciate
    anyone's more knowledgeable input.

BTW - the yank versions of these cards all have the T.C.G. trademark at the bottom of the middle panel:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Great cards.
    ------------------------ Gary
    ºoº coinhead1.
    Never act dumber than you are period
    imageimageimage
    Meg Ryan Amanda Tapping Dana Delany
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt and Mark
    Some really fun stuff - I like the foldees - the toppsvault has proofs up on a regular basis - never paid attention to what they bring.

For Matt
    Do you have a price guide for the non-sport stuff that comes out of the UK?
    e.g. what is the Churchman 1939 Kings of Speed set worth in ex and exmt? Just curious - do we pay more than people at your home? Again, just curious.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mark,

I collect sets and type cards. No particular pattern to my collecting. I also collect baseball and soccer.

re: Foldees.
    The only ones I know of issued in the UK by A&BC were the Comic book series.

I am sure I have seen some called 'Mad-Ad Foldees' with adverts on them that interchange. I think these were 60's and a US release.

Mike,

I use the Murrays guide for cig cards. I have put a pic and a link in the other thread about reference books.
    They just have 1 price per set based on it being clean and undamaged! The Kings Of Speed books at £30 which is about $55. Murrays prices are on the high sode compered to the market. Most dealers here tend to price sets at around 65% - 75% of the Murrays price. Things are generally cheaper still on Ebay.

Thanks

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>re: Foldees.
    I am sure I have seen some called 'Mad-Ad Foldees' with adverts on them that interchange. I think these were 60's and a US release.
    >>

Matt - yes, the Mad-Ad Foldees were issue in '75 or '76.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Matt - I just won a set of these -
    1923 Edwards Ringer's Cinema Stars; 25 in the set.
    What is the Murray guide say regarding value and availability of these cards?

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Hi Mark,

They book at £50 for the set which is about US$ 95.00. I think you got a very good deal on those.

Edwards, Ringer & Bigg cards are quite hard to come by. Some of their earlier sets book at several hundred pounds. they also produced a set of 50 standard size Cinema Stars is 1923 that book at £75. The set you have is the only set they produced in the larger size.

The one you have scanned looks to be in great shape.

Matt
  • Options
    Matt
    Thanks for the info
    The card I scanned is one of two cards I got a while back (Pickford and Fairbanks); I paid book for them and they are in very nice shape. When I get the set I'll compare condition of the two and likely send my original "Pickfair" in to be graded.
    Mark (amerbbcards)