Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Bowers&Merena Auction Error??

The upcoming Mandalay auction by B&M has a 1943-D Walker listed as a MS-67. However, the last sentence in the descriptive paragraph is as follows: "We cannot overstate the importance of this lot for Registry Set collectors." Since the 43-D has a MS-67 pop of 160, that statement makes absolutely no sense. However, they next indicate: "PCGS Population: only 2; and none are finer." That is the pop for a 43-D Walker in MS-68, a conditionally very rare coin. So, it appears that they have mistakenly listed the coin as a 67 instead of a 68. Since the bidding is only up to $845, obviously bidders have yet to identify this error. I emailed the director of auctions for B&M but have received no response and the coin is still listed as a 67 with minimal bidding activity. Interesting, eh????

Comments

• Options
    Here is Bowers and Merena's response:

Mr. Stocker,

In regards to your email inquiry on lot 384 in our current Mandalay Bay Rarities Sale, the coin is certified MS-67 at PCGS. I must have had “MS-68” on the mind when I cataloged it!! Thanks for catching this mistake—we are removing the erroneous pop date from our website.

Thanks,

Jeff Ambio

Director of Numismatics

Bowers and Merena Auctions