Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Latest "Mystery Vintage Pack" - "Live Break"!!

As I first described on the Vintage Board at the end of June, I’ve developed a wonderful business relationship with one particular card shop owner who has, in my opinion, the best inventory of raw, high-quality vintage I’ve seen. He knows what I like and he has a great eye for the cards I collect.

The “Mystery Vintage Pack” works like this: I email my budget and want list to the Card Shop Owner (I still need ~600 HOFers from between 1955-1975) and he pulls cards from his inventory to fill the order. He charges my credit card (no tax, he’s in a different state) then sends the cards to me Priority Insured (again, no charge on the shipping & insurance – he’s a class act all the way). The coolest thing is that I don’t ask and he doesn’t tell me what’s in my “Mystery Pack,” but I know that lurking inside that package will be high-grade, Topps HOFers that I don’t have yet.

When I receive the delivery, I savor opening it with my 12-year-old son. We slowly slide each card out, one-by-one, uncovering the top border, then a little of the photo, until we can guess what Topps’ year the card represents and perhaps the player as well. It’s as much fun as I can imagine having in this hobby. (And risk-free too, if a card doesn’t meet my standards he’ll take it back and credit me the buy-price on a replacement or on my next order.)

So to give you a taste of the excitement of "ripping" this pack, I'm going to simulate uncovering each card to give you a chance to identify which Topps HOFers I received. I'll post one sliver of the card and then a slightly bigger one if nobody can ID it from the first pic. Then I'll post the full scan (in all of its high-grade glory) and them move on to the next card (there will be 8 cards in all).

So here comes the first piece of "Mystery Card #1". Enjoy and good luck!

"Mystery Card #1" - 1st sliver:

Comments