Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Going to my 1st National: Could use some advice...

I'm driving up to Cleveland with my 12-year-old son and a friend to go to our first National later this month. Going to hit the Show on Friday & Saturday, seeing the Indians take on the Royals at the Jake Friday evening. Needless to say, we're all very excited.

I'd like to ask for some veteran advice. I collect NrMT or better Topps baseball HOFers between 1955-1975, but the kicker is that I prefer raw over slabbed. Do any of you have recommendations of trustworthy dealers who you expect to be set-up in Cleveland that sell high-quality raw vintage?

Thanks for any info or further advice that you'd care to share,
Andy

Comments

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    My favorite raw card dealer is Wayne Varner (Shoebox Cards). I believe he will be set up at Booth #609 & 708. Even though I've never dealt with him, a board favorite is Joe Tauriello(sp?) from Set-Builders. Don't know where he will be set up, but he has a great selection of raw material in the grade your looking for.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    paleo u can always crack em out of their case...
    Good for you.
  • Paleo

Another good seller of raw material is McAvoy Sportscards. I have always had some good deals with William McAvoy. Bill from the Polo Grounds always has nice raw cards, but be prepared to pay close to graded prices on most of his stuff.

Be prepared to pay $10 parking at the IX Center. You can also save money by purchasing your tickets to the National now through the Naxcom web site or Ebay seller naxcomticketseller. The price is $10 compared to paying $15 each at the door. You will save $30 there in the admission prices. They hold tickets at the will call window if you purchase throug Naxcom and I have never had a problem.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If Rich Gove is there, I would recommend him as well. He generally doesn't submit cards for grading that would be 7s.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    PLAY BALL - At the Ft Washington shows, Wayne usaully brings just the higher $ slabbed cards, and leaves the lower $ slabbed stuff and raw cards behind. So if your looking for something specific, call him in advance and I'm sure he will bring it. If not, you'll have to rely on mail order for his ungraded singles...jay
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Jay,

Wayne always has brought his raw in the past. I slowly wiped him out of raw '40 Play Ball's at the Ft. Washington shows. All the raw is shoved to the far left, but at least it's there. Well, at least the stuff I've looked for, so maybe he doesn't bring the '50 and later EX/MT raw cards. Never really noticed.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
    BERNIE - I wasn't aware of that.
    When I set up at the Fort about 2 years ago, my kid brought over his price list and I saw some 1954 Bowman baseball PSA-8's I needed for a set I was working on. I took the long 1 aisle walk to his table and asked Bill to see his '54 Bowman PSA-8's and he handed me a #66 Ted Williams w/ a price of like $10 grand on it. I said I was looking for some of the $40 ish commons, and he said they are all back at the office. And the only inventory I saw in their showcases was nice high brow stuff, so that is why I thought that was all they brought...jay
  • jmullenjmullen Posts: 159
    Get a VIP pass ... go in Wednesday night. You want to be able to buy cards the first chance you get.

Jeff
  • Andy,

Sounds like a great trip that you are planning.

The memories should be great, however I doubt that you will find any nice star cards that are un-graded.

A couple of guys come to mind who typically carry nice un-graded stuff .......Polo Grounds, Ira Hirshhorn(sp?), and Set Builders.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Jim
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I've been to both in Cleveland..and to be honest...you are not missing anything on the graded card front at the prices offered. You should find a bunch of raw though!!!

Next to meeting other collectors....the best part about the show is all of the various memorbilia and odd ball stuff that you will see that is much better to inspect & buy in person rather than on eBay. Chances are you will walk out with some item that you had intention of buying when you walked in the door.
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions. Playball, RuthFan, NickM & miami3 - I really appreciate your sharing with me the names of dealers who sell quality vintage. RuthFan - thanks for the heads-up on the Naxcom discount tickets, I just purchased two for Friday & Saturday. Can I buy one for my son for Saturday or can you only purchase the discounted tix for your own personal use? (He's free on Kid's Day Friday.)

Looking forward to perhaps meeting some of you in Cleveland!

Thanks again,
    Andy (paleocards)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy
    I know this is common knowledge to everyone but may be worth mentioning - my first national was in Atlanta in 1992 and my first big show at the same time - I'm thinking there were about 900 tables!
    After an attempt at surveying the land, even with a map, I found that having a small pad and pen helped me to write down the table number and items I was interested in going back to - otherwise, I would have found myself walking around in circles. Time FLIES by really fast!
    The items on display will be great and one can pick up just about anything. Plus, I have observed some really great deals go down right in front of me. Back then I was a big buyer with Greg Manning and I had got real friendly with Steve Novella - they were too busy to chat, but I was impressed with the speed at which they buy collections.
    Just a thought
    Mike
    Mike
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    see you all there....
  • KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    paleocards......

Take my advice.....

Start with Joe at Set Builders, and then go seek out Jay at Qualitycards.....

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!!!!!! (gee.... was that too loud...sorry...LOL....)

A lot of the Registry guys stop at Set Builders. It's 'kind of the unofficial meeting place for the crazy's on this board. If I'm hangin' around.......maybe I'll buy 'ya a beer.....

Wayne Varners "Shoebox Cards".. another great choice.....

I read a few post ago that carrying a pad and pencil was a good idea....That's a REALLY good hint. I usually carry one of those pocket sized spiral pads with the spiral down the side. You can stick a pencil right down the spiral and shove it it your hip pocket ( keeps your hands free for all that sorting...LOL..).

At the end of your first National, you'll do what most of us did......

....Shake your head.....

...................wipe the sweat from your brow........

...............................................find a chair to rest your tired feet...................

......................and start planning for the National 2005 !!!!!!!!!............

Have a great time........Hope to run across you and your son at the show........

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
    KING - I appreciate the testimonial but I won't be setting up at the Nat'l and I seldom sell ungraded. I will be there though and will perhaps bump into you...jay
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Jay-

Are you the guy walking around with a briefcase full of cash handcuffed to you?

JOHN - YES!
    Except I do not carry large bills, only rolls of nickels image ...jay