Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just won a Dalton & Hamer cheap on eBay - Got it today!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice price on the brand new reprint. You have many hours of fun ahead of you! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice price on the brand new reprint. You have many hours of fun ahead of you! image >>

I suspect that is more like many years of fun!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    I'm refering to just looking at the pictures. Some amazing works of art tucked inside those covers. There's still large parts of the book I haven't spent any time looking at.

Searching out the history of the pieces you buy will fill up any remaining hours in the day. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    I believe very strongly that if I am going to collect anything I must first own the standard reference on it. This seems to be THE book on Conders and I love nothing better than a well done numismatic book! I have about 200-250 coin and currency books and they make this hobby so much more rewarding!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • You bought a book on birdsimage

<< <i>Dalton & Hamer on Condors with 12 page 2004 Update >>

Roy

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was cheap ? image

Dang, what does it usually go for?

While I would not call any book that goes for more than $100 "cheap", I can certainly see how that one would be worth the money. Wouldn't mind having one, myself.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You bought a book on birds image >>

He should have bought the book on wrens or sparrows, instead of condors. The volume about vultures, even. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    I think the current "retail" price is around $135.

Correction - Davisson's current price for the book is $150.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    From what I have seen most sell for $150-185, my max bid was $146!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • You got a great price on D&H. I'm with you on the necessity of picking up the standard references; with my books in hand I've nailed more rarities on Ebay than I can count. That's because a lot of the contemporary Napoleonic era medals looked like modern junk! Without the references you'd never know the difference... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Um, now that's it's used, how about selling that D&H to me for half price? (... less if there's drool in it.)
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    null

This one is up now.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Nice book, can I borrow it?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    I got the book in the mail today. This is a HUGE book, takes up about as much space on my shelf as a Krause and packed with information and photos!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    If Davisson is selling them at $150 then he has come down. They were listed at $200 when they first came out.

This new edition is in a larger format than the preceeding ones, the text and images are the same size but it has a much wider border around the text. Great for writing notes, corrections, and annotations into the book. Unfortunately none of the errors that were contained in the first edition have ever been corrected in the text because when Davisson took over as publisher, the 1990 edition was created from contact prints made from an original 1910 edition of D&H. The 1996 and 2004 have used the same contact prints.

The 1996 edition contained all the new discoveries made between 1910 and 1990 that appeared in the 1990 edition and the new discoveries found between 1990 and 1996. For some reason the 2004 edition does not list the 1990 - 96 discoveries. They put them and the 96 - 04 discoveries in the seperate supplement. (In the 96 - 04 suppliment he has started crediting the discoverers. I barely got my new Shropshire discovery to him before the deadline)

Aethelred, send me your address and I'll send you a couple of items to go with your D&H. A copy of Legend Index of English Conder Tokens, and a photocopy of Notes on 18th Century Tokens by Waters

One problem with starting to collect Conder tokens is that often you can't tell by looking at them what county they are from and you have to page through the book trying to match it to the pictures. With the Legend Index you sply look up the inscription and it tells you every county and D&H number that uses it. By looking up both sides and noting the numbers they have in common you can usually narrow it down to just a couple possibilities and go to them directly in D&H instead of paging through it. It is a LOT faster. Unfortuately it only covers the English counties so if your token is Welsh, Scottish or Irish you're on your own.

Waters is really interesting as it lists mintages, engravers, and coiners for each variety or group of varieties.

<< <i>Aethelred, send me your address and I'll send you a couple of items to go with your D&H. A copy of Legend Index of English Conder Tokens, and a photocopy of Notes on 18th Century Tokens by Waters >>

PM sent, thank you very much Mike!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com