Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Movin On Up Again! *Pictures*

Snagged this coin off the Bay. It's a 1944-S in PCGS-66 and I got it for a BIN of $9.99 with like $2.50 in shipping. Killer score. image It's a very interesting coin. It has a pretty weak strike. The Central Bands are almost completely flat, and the lower half of the fasces is weak. The Reeds look completely flat in the picture, but they are seperated, all be it, barely, though there are a few flat spots here and there between the reeds, and the crossing band is weak too, but the Upper Fasces is pretty clear and strong. There is also quite a bit of flatness in the hair. The coin has pretty nice color too. It's an almost unniform fun metal grey, though there is a patch on the Rever near 1 and 2 o'clock that is untoned. The addition of this coin, has brought me up in the Registry to #63, and I also have another coin on the way, a Benson in MS65 that's also a 1944-S. So, I'm not sure. It'll depend on which I like better. But, I might just keep em both image If I were to sell one or the other, I'd prefer the MS66, since I got such a better price on it image But, who knows.... anyways, below is a picture of the new coin.

I also added and updated most of the pictures. I just got like 3 more coins that need to be pictured/re-pictured...

-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice for the price, but what you call weak strike looks like wear to me (particularly on the head feathers).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I know it looks like wear in the pictures, but the luster also doesn't show through in the picture. In hand, you can tilt it and move it around in the light, and you can see the luster on the hair.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a WEAK strike.

Its a good thing you did not pay more for the coin. Heck who knows maybe you will find someone that loves weakly struck coins and make a fortune on that little lady.

Ken
  • Options
    lol. I'm waiting to see if I like that Benson '44-S better, so I might downgrade it image and sell off the MS66...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Nice pic but I would have thought that it would have been less than a MS66 mainly due to the rubbing appearance on the bands and the N and E on the reverse where it looks as though something smashed the two letters.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    Again, only looks like rub from the pictures image Just a really mushy strike... in general, the S-Mint coins usually bring the bigger premiums in FB... so... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS got that one wrong. No way can you have a strike that weak and be a 66.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    You might be very right on that though, I have to admit... it probally could go either way...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a misgraded coin,looks more like AU58???
  • Options
    ROFL I love the people who don't read... if all that loss of detail was wear, it sure as hell wouldn't be an AU58...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

Hmmm. Looks like a good purchase to me. Sounds cheap. I doubt that it's wear that we are seing. It probably has exceptional luster and super clean fields to get a PCGS-66. If it were better struck then it would probably have graded MS-67 or 8. I think George made a good purchase.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think PCGS got that one wrong. No way can you have a strike that weak and be a 66.

I was thinking the same thing - George, somethins wrong with that dime - the faxces bands look like they are oblitetrating as we speak....me don't like it at all. JMHO

Marc
  • Options

<< <i> think PCGS got that one wrong. No way can you have a strike that weak and be a 66.

I was thinking the same thing - George, somethins wrong with that dime - the faxces bands look like they are oblitetrating as we speak....me don't like it at all. JMHO

Marc >>

Yeah, I've posed a question to DH on the Q&A about it. Considering just hits and luster, it's maybe a technical 66, but I'm thinking it's more in line with a 65, maybe a high-end 65... but I asked him if such a poor strike should preclude it from being in a 66 holder
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I keep pounding at the GradeFlation thats going on but no one listens. In the last year or so some real sorry examples have been seen. That coin looks 64 at best to me.

Of course we are looking at only a picture.

Ken
  • Options
    Hey Ken. I went back over it with a fine tooth comb, comparing it to other coins I had, specifically Older Green Holder MS66 coins I had, and it definately looked 65 at best...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Okay here we go.

This is right from the "New" PCGS grading book on page 48 where strike and grade are discussed.

Poorly struck coins usually grade "No Higher" than MS62 or MS63.

George your coin must have some other quality that gave it a grade 3 or 4 points higher than the usual grade. The Luster must be excellent in the eyes of the graders.

Personally the 64 I gave the coin was very fair and the 66 is way out of line.

Keep looking for that collector that Loves Very Weakly struck coins. You have a Gold Mine in your hands. image

Ken
  • Options
    George

I just went to the Q&A forum and read the answer that was given for your question. From the answer some Quality Control should be firmly entrenched at the PCGS Grading Room when it comes to Merc Dimes.

Geez.......image

Ken

PS: This dime with the strike it has and the answer you got would make a decent discussion on the coin forumn. My only question is. Would a early date Merc, that looks like this common late date Merc, got the grade this coin did ? I think not.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken makes an excellent observation here. My 1918-P is the only MS66 No Bands coin that has been graded. There is a different standard for different time periods IMHO.

Rick
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    ttt
    Jim Chandler