Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Hoser from the Great White North bumped me!

Then I struck back with an AU58! I have two 52s at PCGS, I can't seem to find any real nice ones, 65+.
You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice set WSM!

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Thanks, its going to be for sale after I pedigree it!
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very nice set, indeed!! Hmm, Voyageur and GWN seem to have had not problem finding MS 1952 No-WL examples ... are you sure you're really trying, Dave? imageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Bummer eh?
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    too bad you didn't buy the 52 nwl that was at the torex auction last year or early this year. It was a 66, and was gorgeous...
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice set, indeed!! Hmm, Voyageur and GWN seem to have had not problem finding MS 1952 No-WL examples ... are you sure you're really trying, Dave? imageimage >>

I guess I just feel they should be easy to find considering what they sell for. Maybe I could try harder!
  • Options

<< <i>too bad you didn't buy the 52 nwl that was at the torex auction last year or early this year. It was a 66, and was gorgeous... >>

How much did it sell for? I would have bought it if I had known about it!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>too bad you didn't buy the 52 nwl that was at the torex auction last year or early this year. It was a 66, and was gorgeous... >>

How much did it sell for? I would have bought it if I had known about it! >>

If I remember correctly it sold well above the list price...somewhere around $2500 CDN. However, it was a gorgeous coin. It was under-graded in my opinion, and so I think that a couple of experienced collectors both knew that it was likely the finest example in existence....
  • Options
    I think their being a little too tough on these! The two I sent just got graded 62 and 63, should have been 63 and 64 easy.

Doc, This is starting to make that 66 look like a good deal!
  • Options

<< <i>I think their being a little too tough on these! The two I sent just got graded 62 and 63, should have been 63 and 64 easy.

Doc, This is starting to make that 66 look like a good deal! >>

Well, I guess if you collect those, you might think so. Its funny how the so-called key to the series - the 1948 is so common, yet this supposedly common coin is so rare in great condition. image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I am certainly no expert. I started collecting in the 70's, stopped in the 80's, and have just restarted recently. Seems to me that Canadian coin collecting has the same extremes for expensive coins as does US collecting: i.e very rare coins with zero demand and scarce coins with heavy demand. I may be a sucker, but give me the first category every time.

Nothing personal against anyone, but given the choice between a premo 1948 dollar and say an MS 1858 penny, or a 1944 Newfy penny, I take the pennies every time.

I just think over the long haul (say 20 years) the real rarities will prevail. Before I get flak, I'm not trying to say that the 1948 dollar in MS-65 is common.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

<< <i>I am certainly no expert. I started collecting in the 70's, stopped in the 80's, and have just restarted recently. Seems to me that Canadian coin collecting has the same extremes for expensive coins as does US collecting: i.e very rare coins with zero demand and scarce coins with heavy demand. I may be a sucker, but give me the first category every time.

Nothing personal against anyone, but given the choice between a premo 1948 dollar and say an MS 1858 penny, or a 1944 Newfy penny, I take the pennies every time.

I just think over the long haul (say 20 years) the real rarities will prevail. Before I get flak, I'm not trying to say that the 1948 dollar in MS-65 is common. >>

I agree that the 1948 dollar in MS 65 is rare, but in almost any other grade it seems quite common. There are many coins that seem to never show up at auction, whereas the 48 is there every time.
  • Options
    I see you just upgraded to a MS63...good work.image