Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is the term "rainbow" misused?

When I see the term "rainbow" (as in rainbow colors) used to describe toning on a coin, I expect to see BANDS OF COLOR like the bands in a rainbow in the sky. Too often I see "rainbow" used in a description only to find that the coloration is blotches or ring toning, but not a true rainbow.

Am I all alone on this, or do others also believe that rainbow has been misused to describe toning?

cheers, alan mendelson

ps still seeking a common date ms68 pcgs morgan

Comments

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Of coarse it's missused. Just a faint color to a coin, and some doe doe head put's "rainbow" in the title. The worst offender is Teletrade. They've made there "rainbow" designation worthless to people accually looking for nice toners.

David
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Rainbow
    Nice toning, but not rainbow
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>When I see the term "rainbow" (as in rainbow colors) used to describe toning on a coin, I expect to see BANDS OF COLOR like the bands in a rainbow in the sky. Too often I see "rainbow" used in a description only to find that the coloration is blotches or ring toning, but not a true rainbow. >>

Agreed! The term has been beaten to death and for the most part has replaced the word "toning".

Nice rainbow on that roosie Nick!

Dan

• Is this "rainbow?" image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Onlyroosies... not only a nice rainbow, but rainbow "target toning"... cheers, alan mendelson