Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1794 Large Cent:Head of '93 vs head of '94 vs.head of '95 - can someone explain?

What's the best way to tell which type a 1794 Large Cent might be?
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• Options
    if i remember correctly, the 1794 head of 1793 looks like Miss Liberty has an apple in her cheek
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I'd suggest you get a copy of Bill Noyes 1793-1814 large cent book.
    I think it came out around 1992. It should be available from any book store, although they'll probably need to order it for you.

Ray
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Come on early copper guys, chime on in. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to explain in words without pictures, but here goes.

The Head of '93 coins coins have a high rounded relief, but usually the coin is so worn or so corroded that you can't see it. High grade examples have a great deal of subtle intricate hair detail, but very few collectors have ever seen it.

The Head of '94 coins have the highest relief, and in high grade are the most beautiful IMO. The hype about the great beauty of the Head of '93 coins is based mostly on their rarity IMO. An aside - the Apple Cheeks variety is a Head of '94 coin and is very attractive.

The Head of '95 coins have lower relief, and if the coin is in high grade, the hair detail is a lot coarser.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Head of 93: LIBERTY is well away from the head (3/4 letters height or more), and the Junction of the Hair and Forehead (JHF) is centered between the T & Y. (All of the heads of 94 and 95 have the JHF under the foot of the T or further left.)

Early heads of 94: (S-21 thru S-44) LIBERTY well away from the head, JHF not centered between T & Y.

Head of 95: S-72 LIBERTY close to head RTY spaced wider than the rest of the letters R T Y and the T is low resting on the hair above the forehead.

Late heads of 94: (S-45 thru S-71) All the rest of the 94's LIBERTY is low usually 1/4 letters height from the head or less, but the T does not sit down on the hair on any of the other varieties and the RTY are usually spaced about the same as the other letters.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    once your familiar w/ em, you won't forget.

difficult for me to descibe in words though.

K S
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Breen's Encyclopedia of Large Cents
    DSW
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    is condors explanation still best?

what does the redbook mean when it talks about

hook on lowest curl?

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    ...horrid picture but...Head of 93 on left and Head of 94 on the right...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file