Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Commemorative opinions please.

Now that I have almost completed my Morgan set I am ready to move on to something else. I found that the fun was going out of the Morgan set and I was more interested in just getting it finished. I keep a few nice slabs of various coins in my desk at the bank and have found that I get more "ohhs and ahhs" when I show them an Oregon Trail or a Texas Independence type coin than anything else. When I pull out a nice Morgan CC or nice Peace dollar I always get the "my dad had one of those" response. I also tend to think some of the commems are really nice and depict some great American history, which is a big love of mine.

Investment motive aside, what are your thoughts on commems?

Loan Shark

Comments

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    With investment motives aside (your words), I'd go for the Commem's. They seem to be the pits as far as an "investment" series, unless you are into the ultra high end toned world that some dwell in.

Plenty of diversity and some wonderful designs. Very easy to stay focused on completing the set.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would push the Morgans aside to see the commems alsoimage I just picked up a Grant no star in AU at the local shop
    today and will post a pic later, I dont want to dedicate the funds necessary for collecting in ms but buying raw in AU can be fun and the
    grade difference of having different designs side by side is not as noticable as with a normal series
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I happen to think there is a great future in the series commemoratives--the Oregon, Texas, Arkansas, Boone, Carver, and Booker T.

Here's why I think that. In the past most people have collected commemoratives by type. They attempt to put together a 50 coin set. Even fewer people try to complete the entire 144 coin set. Completing either of these sets, either by type or the complete set is a very expensive proposition.

With the creation of short set registries for these series commemoratives (sorry, I know some of you think registry is a dirty word) I think it's possible more and more people will come to collect commemorative coins by series. It could be a change in the thinking about how to collect these coins. And it could spread further than the registry.

The short series of coins are completeable, they have rarer dates, and they are very fun to put together. I think it entirely possible this becomes a much more common way of collecting than it has in the past.

There are some incredible bargains in the series commems for coins with absurdly low mintages. I recommend checking into it.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

excellent advise clankeye

michael
  • Options
    I recently found that I am really enjoying the collecting of the commemoratives. The colonials that I want are very expensive and don't come up for sale all that often. The commemoratives are plentiful and are less expensive than the colonials!image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    congrats on completeing your morgans. i would go with early comm's, prices are still very reasonable. great accomplishment on your morgan collection,
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>excellent advise clankeye >>

Thanks, michael.

I just saw on a dealer's site that they are offering a 1938 Oregon P, D, S set, each coin PCGS 65 for $775.

Each coin in that PDS set has a mintage of 6006... and you can get the whole set--in gem grade--for well under a thousand dollars.

I can't help but think that is a great deal. And that someday, maybe not in the too distant future, you just won't be able to find these coins at these prices.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I happen to think there is a great future in the series commemoratives--the Oregon, Texas, Arkansas, Boone, Carver, and Booker T. >>

Good observation, Clank. This may be why my Ore, Tx, Ark, Boone, WC, and BTW sets went to a very astute private collector way before I offered (the rest of) my type set...
    LoanShark. pm me if you'd like to receive much alternative/esoteric, but important info... image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this seemed to be a worthy thread with well-thought-out points
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early commemoratives are a fun collection, and all of them are available. Since you have been collecting Morgan dollars and are used to high prices, you might find these coins look cheap. There are lots of wonderful books out there that will enhance your enjoyment.

My advice is to buy Mint State coins. Although some of these coins did circulate, they were met to do so. Mint State is the way to go if you can afford it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Welcome to the world of early commemoratives.
    I think now is a good time to get into commemoratives.
    The price was continually going up from the time I got in (1998) until I completed my MS65-67 set in late 2004.
    The price seems to have slowed the upward trend and even backed off a little. I guess because I have quit buying.
    Commems are fun to collect. Every coin is different. Low mintages.

my set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file