Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half Instructional Series #14: 1953P Half Dollar

Franklin Half Instructional Series #14: 1953P Half Dollar.

This is the fourteenth installment of my instructional series on Franklin Halves. Today it was do my taxes, or talk about one of my favorite coins in the series. The taxes are almost done, so we’ll talk coins for the rest of the evening. Hopefully those of you who are interested in Franklins will add your own observations and pictures. By the end of the series we should wind up with a pretty comprehensive study of the Franklin series, along with some nice pictures as well. And who knows, maybe some other folks will do the same for other series!

Sources for this series generally include “An Analysis of Gem Franklins” by Jack Ehrmantraut and “The Complete Guide for Franklin Halves” by Rick Tomaska – two books which I feel every serious Franklin collector should read

1953P

This is one of my favorite issues among the Franklin series in that it not only has one of the lowest business strike mintages, 2,796,920, but it is also extremely difficult to find in pristine condition. The 1953P ranks right up there with the 1961-63 Philly issues as the poorest in quality, thus it is not only tough to find in high grades, but in Full Bell Lines it is a tough find as well. Marks for this coin tend to run above average as compared to other Philadelphia offerings of the time. In addition, the strike is often very mushy and weak, much like its sister coin from San Francisco. Toning tends to be universally drab browns and greys, although occasionally you might be able to locate a bright gold, russet, or blue mint set example tucked away in some collector’s cabinet. Mint set examples are generally weakly struck, the thinking, according to Ehrmantraut, was that all 15,538 examples were struck from the same die under less than ideal pressure. Luster on this coin tends to be of the frosty/grainy variety due to poor striking conditions, although once in a while you will run into a few brilliant examples here and there.

Many times the detail on this coin is almost none existent, with hair bell detail being almost completely flat. In addition, many pieces are covered with unattractive dark speckled toning which tends to hide most design details, making it even harder to discern any hint of bell lines. I was fortunate to have recently gone through a very unusual original roll of 1953P Franklins, which not only contained mostly white specimens, with just a hint of original gold mellowing, but the roll actually yielded two MS64FBL’s and two MS65FBL’s. This was indeed a very fortunate and unusual find.

Current population numbers from PCGS read as follows:

MS63 and lower 169 in non FBL and 60 in FBL
MS64 - 617 in non FBL and 545 in FBL
MS65 - 272 in non FBL and 205 in FBL
MS66 - 35 in non FBL and 25 in FBL
MS67 – 0 in FBL

Finding pieces in grades MS64 and above is a challenge for this date. This is one of the few dates where pieces in MS64 and 65 will sell readily, because the jump from regular to FBL grades is substantial. An MS64 piece can run anywhere from $40-$70, while I’ve seen MS65’s fetch close to $200 for a nice white one. A nicely toned piece would command double that amount or more. In MS64FBL and MS65FBL this date has held its own, in large part to the fact that Franklin collectors recognize how tough it is to find this date for their collections. MS64FBL coins can range from $175-$250 depending on eye appeal, while run of the mill MS65FBL’s can go for $550 to $700. Nicely toned examples or bright white examples generally run closer to $1,000. The few MS66 and MS66FBL examples that have appeared on the market of late have also commanded healthy price tags. MS66 examples tend to parallel MS65FBL prices, while MS66FBL coins tend to parallel 1952S coins at the $2,000 to $3,000 and up levels. One lone white MS66FBL coin has been documented by Rick Tomaska as having sold in excess of $15,000. As with some of these newer MS66FBL’s collectors would be well advised to look very carefully at these coins in hand, as I suspect some of them may have previously resided in MS65FBL holders and have gotten a bump for reasons unknown.

For more information on this date you can look the coin up in the Coinfacts page, which also sites significant sales appearances over the past few years. This information can be found HERE. I will continue to post the COINFACTS site for reference, but I am in no way promoting their products or services.

The 1953P half is one of the fun coins in gem MS64FBL or above condition. You will have a tough time finding one of these coins in the market, and when you do, you’ll likely be disappointed with it’s eye appeal, but when you do find one to your liking, you’ll definitely appreciate the thrill of the hunt. This represents a very worthwhile acquisition even to collectors who do not specialize in Franklins. White pieces or coins with very nice eye appeal should be considered rarities in this issue. Have fun collecting Frankies!

1953P Franklin in MS65FBL from The Birmingham Collection:

Comments

• Options
    WOW, Two installments in one day. What did we do to deserve to get two in the same day? Once again, another thread loaded with information.image
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Excellent tutorial! I'm loving it! Keep'em coming! image

PURPLE!
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I like the 53P a lot, so it was kinda fun getting to do this issue image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay Frank,

so when are you gonna gather all these instructional posts together and publish a book?
  • Options
    You mean "The Pug's Guide to Frankies"? LOL - Well - let me get through issues 15-35 and maybe a couple of more supplements and maybe we'll talk about it then image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You mean "The Pug's Guide to Frankies"? LOL - Well - let me get through issues 15-35 and maybe a couple of more supplements and maybe we'll talk about it then image >>

Maybe you can get the hepkitty to write the Introduction for you! Couldn't beat that !!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1953 half dollar

one of my favorite Frankies image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    very interesting, I just consigned one in ms-66fbl to heritage for the December signature auction,its a beautiful white coin, hope it does as well as you say.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley, the 1953 P Franklin that you have pictured is one of the most eye appealing MS Franklins I have seen. Drop dead gorgeous.

FC57Coins, your Instructional series posts are very informative and helpful. I have a question for you. When you finish with the 35 business strike coins in the series, are you planning on continuing on with phase two covering the 14 proof Franklins (plus varieties, i.e, 1956 Type 1 & 2 and 1961 DDR).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Baley,

That Franklin is drop dead gorgeous!!!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>FC57Coins, your Instructional series posts are very informative and helpful. I have a question for you. When you finish with the 35 business strike coins in the series, are you planning on continuing on with phase two covering the 14 proof Franklins (plus varieties, i.e, 1956 Type 1 & 2 and 1961 DDR). >>

Well - ever since I got sick I've been smoething of a slug and have stalled on these postings but I've been thinking about picking them up again soon - stay tuned image
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Good read, very helpful! Thanks for posting image

KJ
  • Options
    Heres a nice one. I'd say an upgrade candidate.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

In Memory of Frank...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    I recently picked up this one for the collection. It is a MS-64.image
  • Options
    Nice color!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I have a white and a color 53 P.
    Both are very high end. While the strikes arent the best for 53, the satiny luster made up for it in eye appeal.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I've been waiting for a good place to show this
    1953 Franklin half that I got from forum member
    frnklnlvr a few months back.

Then SkyMan brought back one of Frank's old
    "Instructional Series" posts and I thought,
    bingo, that's the place.

So, in memory of Frank, and with thanks to
    frnklnlvr, here it is. My photo skills didn't bring
    up the electric blue at the top obverse, and
    especially the bottom reverse, very well, but
    so be it.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an attractive '53, and from the image it looks like it's got FBL, which is tough to find on '53's.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"That's an attractive '53, and from the image it looks like it's got FBL, which is tough to find on '53's"
    -----
    Thanks, it's nowhere near the monster '53 you have in
    your registry set, but I like it, and no, it's not FBL, there
    is some weakness just to the left of the bell crack.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file