Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

i bought a 1960 sm date deal and all were sealed, were they repacks?

i bought a deal of what was supposed to be an original 1960 sm date proofset deal of 100 sets in the original box and paid a nice premium. all of the sets were in fact sm dates when i opened them up. Is this possible? Or did i get scammed?

Comments

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    AMAZING! IMHO, you were either lucky they were all SMDT, or they were re-sealed. Anyway, if they're all nice sets, who cares?image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the price per roll?
    Are you POSITIVE they are sm dates? I'm not calling your competency into question, but man that would have me wondering if I knew what a small date was.

I did a similar thing on a roll of 2000 wide AM's. I bought a coin, and the dealer threw in a roll of 2000p just for the heck of it. It was right about the time the 2000 AM's were discovered, so I flipped them over and looked at them. There were are about 20 wide AM's in there, and I thought I had totally misunderstood the wide AM thing.
    Doug
  • Options
    yes, they were all small dates. im very familiar with the series. i just talked to a few other dealers and have gotten different opinions. some say that there is no way that all of the sets, could have been small date sets, unless repacked. another dealer told me that it could have been a run. anyhow, alot of nice coins, no cameos, but some high grade stuff.
  • Options
    Someone looking for a small date?????

imageimage
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about this particular set but it is certainly true that you don't
    always have to open a roll or set to know what's in them. Sometimes you
    can tell by a shipping date or by just determining that a lot was packaged
    in between two identical lots. Rolls found in bunches are nearly always from
    the same bag or the same pallet and will usually look very similar.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Now I'm confused...Was this thread about smdt proof sets, or rolls???image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    sm date proofsets.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I'm confused...Was this thread about smdt proof sets, or rolls???image >>

Doug
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I'm confused...Was this thread about smdt proof sets, or rolls???image >>

...and I helped.

I was trying to point out that all mint products tend to be issued in "runs" as Supracoin
    and DMWJR alluded to. It is possible to identify these runs in many cases without actually
    opening rolls or mailing packages.

What we need here is someone who's more familiar with the 1960 mint sets for a defin-
    itive answer.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but I remember talking to Jim O'Donnell, a dealer friend that was somewhat involved in the proof set mania of the early 60's. He told me that the sharpies back then knew how the packaging of the small date sets differed from the large date sets, and they would regularly pick off sealed small date sets. I think it had to do with the shade of the envelopes, but I'm not sure.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    i wouldn't worry about it suprascam..i'm sure they're worth at least 200,000.00 by your estimation when you resell them on ebay
    when judgement day comes..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file