Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are GSA Morgans worth more in the GSA box and holder? Would you crack them for any reason?

If so, what.........

Comments

• Options
    indirectly...I'd have one cracked by PCGS to be graded, holdered, and pedigreed
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yeah I did the same thing. I sent it in to PCGS for my Morgan Mint Mark Registry Set.

They have to do the cracking in order to put GSA on the label.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    At this point, with so many CC's busted out of their GSA holders, I wouldn't bust one out under any circumstances, but would send it to NGC to be graded in the holder. I hope at some point PCGS will do this as well, stopping the wholesale busting of these historical holders.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so it could fit in my slab box.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    It's not that I want it graded, its easy to see its a 64 - its that I want to put it in my dansco type set. Don't know if I should be stopped. I have the box, the certificate, everything. Seems kind of a shame, but it also would be neat to know almost the entire history of one of the coins in the type set. AACK, cracking is usally no problem at all for me. But this one is hard.
  • Options
    I agree, don't crack it. You can never put it back in. I agree that it
    would be nice if PCGS would do the GSA grading like NGC.

If you really want to put it in your Danso set, buy one that was already
    cracked. (Of course, I must confess to cracking a few slabs for a
    Dansco set myself; but they were ANACS holders! image )
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack yours....I ain't cracking mine.
    Will make mine worth more image

Seriously, I wouldn't crack them. If you need one for an album or registry, there are enough out there already cracked...get one of those. Kepp your original, then if you ever change your habits, you won't regret it.

R

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I've got the hammer in my hand..........fighting the urge...........
  • Options
    In the market right now GSA's I think carry a perceived premium. People are more willing to go with an agreed upon grade for it as opposed to it being raw. When you look at 82-84CC's I think that they're viewed as just common coins, while in the GSA holder they pick up more of a mystique to them. In addition, dealers are always interested in GSA dollars. I think their interest backs down a notch when the coin is slabbed. It's almost as if there is a sense of adventure when you buy a GSA - kinda weird, but it works.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The only reason to crack these out in the past, was to have them graded. Now that NGC grades them in the slab, that reason is gone.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>It's almost as if there is a sense of adventure when you buy a GSA - kinda weird, but it works. >>

It's the knowledge of the history/story behind the GSA's. A raw of slabbed piece doesn't have that. As far as you know it could have come from anywhere so there is no interesting background to them.
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I agree with Conder. GSA Morgans have a specific story to tell, and keeping one in its original holder with the black box and COA tells it much better than a generic slab.

-Jay
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I'd leave them in the original holder. They have something most raw coins lack.

Provenance.

GSAGUY

But then, I'm often accused of being biased.image
  • Options
    BothuwuiBothuwui Posts: 484 ✭✭
    I had one cracked out because it had mold growing in the case. Some water and air must have gotten inside before I owned it. I figured I'd send it to PCGS so I'd at least get GSA on the slab. It was a more common date, so the decision wasn't as tough.
    Successful transactions with: goldman86, dmarks, CoinFame, segoja, commoncents05, wondercoin, Dabigkahuna, Levinll, RNCHSN, MrOrganic, Type2, ModernCoinMart, alohagary, BECOKA, guitarwes, rbf, fishteeth, freechance, agentjim007, PQPeace, Russ, GSAGuy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file