Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold or Silver???

All things being equal, what is more challenging, fun and interesting tom collect, Gold or Silver coins?. Opinions please.
GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.

Comments

• MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    I can't afford gold so for me its classic silver.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • But if you could, would you prefer Gold?
    GottaGetCoins

Currently attempting the 12 Coin US Gold Type Set and the 20th Century US Major Coin Type Set. Completed a Franklin Half Proof Set.
  • All things equal, if you could, would you prefer gold?
    GottaGetCoins

• I recommend collecting coins because they interest you, not because of the metal in which they are struck. For example, there are a lot of wonderfully toned bronze coins out there, especially if you go into world coin collecting.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Gold coins are my first choice as a collector investor, just because there is more intrinsic value.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like copper the most for the moment.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's just a matter of what engages your interest. For me it's gold. The downside, of course, is that unless you have lots of disposable income, you have to be content with your acquisitions being few and far between. Given the quality I want and the available funds, it comes down to about four coins a year or so. Makes for a lot of shopping, and you become extremely selective - a poor choice or an ill-considered impulse buy can really slow you down. All things considered, I think it has been very helpful in forcing me to become a much better buyer - I very rarely end up with a coin that isn't worthy of long-term retention in the collection.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Gold. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    MS71 makes a good point--with gold you'll be buying fewer coins given a limited amount of money, and assuming you're not buying super expensive silver or bronze. So choosing silver affords you more pieces to play with.

I still like gold!! But my collection is comprised mostly of silver.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you so concerned about the metal? Collect interesting coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Not concerned, just interested in the opinions of those that have been at this hobby much longer than I.
    GottaGetCoins

• I like silver,gold is too expensive and you can't find it in change.
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is great to collect but silver is better. Cu/ni is best.image

Seriously though the composition doesn't much matter once the numismatic value exceeds the melt value.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file