Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Type Set Album

What is the best Album to use for a raw type set? Doesn't need to have a gold page, but a nice one that's safe for the coins, and won't kill the value... Thank you
-George
42/92

Comments

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I ordered a Dansco for myself today. Lots of choices out there though....Ken
  • Thx Relayer, I think I had seen that Dansco before on EBay, I thought that would be a good one, and wanted to ask first. Anyone know if they tone nicely?
    -George
    42/92
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Dansco and love it... here are a few poor, old pictures:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • If you do go w/dansco make sure you completely cover coins w/slide.My dad has some BU Rosies that were'nt completely covered w/slide and they turned black only where slide was missing.
  • My dealer sells them for a dollar cheaper than that ebay guy and thats not even counting $5 shipping and handling....Ken
  • thz guys
    -George
    42/92
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Dansco and love it... here are a few poor, old pictures:

Nice rays nickel! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • I really like the Dansco type set album. It has both 19th & 20th century types. I think the others (Whitman, etc.) only have 20th century types. I'm focusing most of my collecting effort on my type set. Here's mine so far. Still a long way to go.

Bill
  • SDCollector,
    Whitman has a 20th century Type set Folder but they also have a 179?-Date Album,same quality as Dansco i'm sure of.

I use the Dansco Type Set,Its my most prized posession.
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • I love my Dansco Type Set too... I'm almost done and I'm working on upgrading...

The pride of upgrading is my No Rays 1867 Shield. It's MS-63/4 with fansastic luster and a wealth of chararter adding die cracks.

Even more pride springs from the effort and time I spent on the Commemorative Half Dollars... no cheaping it and upgrading for this section. I wanted all "first year" mints and minted in San Francisco... but I didn't want to have to sell a kidney. I managed to find each of these raw for AU-MS-60 money.

1935-S ~ San Diego (MS-64/5)
    1936-S ~ Bay Bridge (MS-63/4)
    1925-S ~ California Diamond Jubilee (MS-63/4)
    1926-S ~ Oregon Trail (Easily MS-65, possibly MS-66/67)

I only wish I could post pictures to further my braging.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • I'll vote for the Dansco also. I had fun filling it up, and it
    presents the coins quite nicely.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    For many years my most prized collection was in a Harco album, which featured pull-out rows of plastic pockets for each coin. There were several "holes" in that album I could never afford (1796 quarter, Chain cent, draped bust half dime, etc.) However, it had many type coins which I still consider necessary for a complete type set (such as Seated Liberty coins with arrows from both 1853-55 and 1873-74 or no stars Seated Libert 1837-38 dimes and half dimes). No gold was necessary for Harco's definition of a U.S. type set.

Not long after I returned to collecting four years ago, my local dealer told me that he had stopped selling Harco albums because the pockets would leave nasty PVC deposits on the coins. I bought a new Dansco album from him for $20, even though it says "Littleton".

A few of my type coins had started to grow nasty spots of green slime, and I quickly sold them off on eBay. I was also pleased to see that I no longer needed to fill as many holes to complete the type set as defined by Dansco, even though there is one page for a very basic U.S. gold type set.

I'll keep filling and upgrading my type set in this album for the next few years, but wish I hadn't sold off my 1795 half dollar (VG-10) when I discovered there was no place for it in my Dansco.
    I'm happy with my Dansco album, and have filled all the holes (except for some of the gold). I have never found a type set album
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Kingswood type set put out by Bowers and Merena a few years ago. They were made by Capitol Plastics. Thirteen holders in set from 1793 up. Also has a 53 piece commem. and 20 piece gold set from classics to Saints.
    I had filled the Dansco but wanted more so I went with these.

I see them on eBay sometime. Usually only the different holders but I got a full set of all 13 off eBay in Dec 1999 for 85.00 including shipping.

Here is a list of the individual holders and the number of coins in each.

KW-1 1793-1799 copper,silver types 16 coins
    KW-2 1800-1830 copper,silver types 12 coins
    KW-3 1831-1850 copper,silver types 13 coins
    KW-4 1851-1860 copper,silver types 14 coins
    KW-5 1861-1890 copper,silver,nickel types 19 coins
    KW-6 1901-1950 copper,silver,nickel types 16 coins
    KW-7 1951-1979 copper,silver,nickel types 16 coins
    KW-8 1834-1900 gold types 14 coins
    KW-9 1901-1933 gold types 6 coins
    KW-10 1892-1925 commems 16 coins
    KW-11 1926-1935 commems 12 coins
    KW-12 1936 commems 16 coins
    KW-13 1937-1984 commems 9 coins

That's 179 holes to fill. I'm not done yet but got a good start with all but 18. I don't have any for the 1793-1799 holder and short a Hawaiian half and a 1866-1907 $10 eagle.

I'm trying to get all of them in EF-40 or better. I don't expect to fill the first one 1793-1799 anytime soon because cost becomes a big factor with these in nice condition. The $10 gold is easy and the hawaiian may have to wait for a while also. From 1800 up I'm just 2 coins short and can see the end of this quest in the near future. This year anyway.

Since I retired last April and have a fixed income now, I will either have to wait or sell some stuff to continue the quest for the early ones.

These make a real nice presentation when viewed side by side.

As others have said here on the forum, a type set can be whatever you want it to be. I have chosen this set to try. With the introduction of the state quarters, the number of types is increased by 50 or 100 depending if you want clad and or silver issues. One could also include all the modern commems.
    So there is no end to a type set or a begining for that matter. You could include colonials.

Pick your challenge and enjoy. After all, it's the hunt that drives us collectors and that's what it's all about.

I've been collecting since 1958 and the desire has never gone away and probably never will.

HAPPY HUNTING

Have a good day, Gary
  • I would love to see some pics of your type sets. I never get tired of seeing nice coins in albums.
    Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file