Home U.S. Coin Forum

I was rendered speechless today by toning

clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
Yes, it's true. Really. I'm not usually big on toning because much of the fad is just being able to say a coin is toned, regardless of attractiveness. But I saw something today at Long Beach that defies description, other than to say I thought I was having a flashback. GSAGUY had two Morgans with colors that completely covered the obverses, and reflected light like a sixties poster under a black light. Never seen anything like them before. Maybe somebody else who saw them today can describe them better.

Comments

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw them last week at the Money show. He also had some CC dollar bags (no coins in them). It was incredible... worth the trip just to see a small portion of his collection.

David
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    These coins were so fine they had names. Louisiana Lightning and Envy. Superb neon, radiant colors. Claw and I later realized we didn't know what the years were. I mean it, the coins were so gorgeous the dates were unimportant.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Yep, I saw them last week at the Houston Money Show.

Pretty much the ultimate. What more can you say. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • He has 3 78CCs that are incredible.

• Ah yes! Nothing like looking at a coin like that. Yes, too many sellers overhype / lie about "toning".
    I've learned to ask very specific questions if conducting sight unseen business. Return Postage is expensive!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Thanks all for the positive comments.

Those two pieces do rank well up there in my collection, although as Louis pointed out, the group of 3 78-CC's is also pretty cute. And like Woody stated, when the toning is really beautiful, talk of grade, or even the date/mintmark often does not enter the conversation.

GSAGUY
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What grade are they? image I've seen the 78cc's and they were my favorite.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm usually rendered speechless by the prices paid for toning! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file