Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do lost coins affect Pop Reports?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
Question: If a coin is confirmed lost such as in a fire, are the pop reports adjusted?
Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    Anyone?
  • Options
    I don't think so, there's no way to confirm that you aren't just making it up. Also lets say a coin is pop 50 in ms65 and you crack it out hoping for a 66, ofcourse the 65 doesnt drop a number.
  • Options
    From listening to this and other forums, the pop reports seem to be of by at least 10%. Grade crack-outs and resubmissions to the same company or another. No one reports this and it would be extremely difficult to get pops to drop from a fire incident unless you show proof of ownership, send them the glob of plastic with the charred coin inside it!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time I had two slabbed Morgans that were NOT in the PCGS database. I simply emailed pix of the two slabs and both were re-entered. Anyone know how common this is?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Stiff winds affect the pop reports. Just not in a good way. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No lost coins don't adjust the list.

Years ago PCGS was willing to pay for old labels, which they used to adjust the POP reports. That never worked out too well and now the program no longer run.

I'd say that POP report inaccuracies vary from coin to coin. If there is a big jump in price for an extra point in the MS grades or a few points in the circulated grades, there's a good chance the more coins are reported in the POP report than what really might exist.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    There are a couple good articles at the Legend site about the unreliability of the pop reports. But I still look at the pop reports to see how many moderns are being "made."

POP REPORTS: TOO BAD THEY ARE INACCURATE

THE POPULATION REPORTS - WHY BOTHER WITH THEM?
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    No matter how they go (fire, deep 6, theft, cracked out, etc.), the pop reports will not be altered. Of all the ways listed, 95% are probably due to theft.

As a thread started in the Registry forum by MJPHELAN, 19 PCGS MS64FS thru 66FS Jeffs were stolen from Steve Wells in Texas. These Jeffs are quite high in the pops and valuable, but be-that-as-it-is, PCGS will not adjust their pop reports based on the reported theft. Nor will they attempt to "look out" for them should they be re-submitted for re-slabbing.

Once a baby is born, it is no longer the responsibility of the doctor or hospital that delivered it into the world.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    I can understand PCGS not adjusting pop reports for stolen coins since the coin still exists, but if you can prove that the coin has been destroyed and the coin is an extreme rarity (i.e. 1804 Dollar), why wouldn't you drop it?
  • Options
    Because then they would have to believe you and whare do you draw the line. Unless the the label survived. I thought they still bought back labels for .50. Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file