Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are Wiles & Wexler DDO IKEs???

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
And are they worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    Dr. James Wiles Phd is the official 20th century die variety attributor and prolific author. He is one of the officers of CONECA. (The Combined Numismatic Error Collectors of America). His attribution system is recognized by all of the major grading services and the terms DDO,DDR, etc, are part of CONECAs system.
    So when you see DDO-1, that is a CONECA designation.
    John Wexler is a mathematics professor and one of the founders of NCADD (The National Collectors Association for Die Doubling). He is also a prolific author on die varieties. His system is 001, ie, is you see WDDO-001, that means Wexler Doubled die obverse as is NCADD. This system is independant of CONECA. Only ANACS recognizes NCADD. I only recognize PCGS, NGC, and ANACS as legitimate grading services., so other illegitimate grading services may also recognize NCADD. NCADD is no less capable than CONECA. John Wexler is an excellent attributor on par with James Wiles. Other attributors for NCADD are not as reputable.
    As with all die varities, populatity and value are functions of demand.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    wingedliberty has it right. I have been seeing a lot of Wexler mentioned on a few ebay auctions. However the slabs that these Ikes are in do not call attention to the attributions the sellers are refering to.
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm guessing there's not much demand for them?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Variety collecting is a growing area. Like all coins prices are based on supply and demand and
    some of these scarcer pieces will bring large premiums in any grade. There are no dramatically
    doubled Ikes which does serve to limit their desirability.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Ike pups (pick up points ) for die varieties are exceedingly difficult to assertain for split serif separation due to very close spreads. It is very difficult to determine die doubling from master die doubling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file