Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OT - Beware the virus "warnings"!

Received an e-mail today, supposedly from an ISP, alerting me that I had sent a message infected with "Mydoom", the latest in virus monsters. According to the message I had sent one with the subject "Hello" to an address I have never heard of, and their virus detection had caught it. All my outgoing e-mail has been virus checked by Norton for several years, and I regularly update my definitions, but I ran a new update followed by a new scan, which gave me a clean bill of health. I deleted the "warning" without replying, in my paranoid fear image that a reply was just what the sender wanted!

Will these creeps never stop?image
Roy

Comments

• AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Actually, it was probably the virus' doing. When some of these infect the computer of someone who has your address, they copy it for the "author" for future emails they send out. I've been getting some myself and right now am deleting anything with an error message or an attachment.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    What Askari said.

You apparently do not have the virus. Someone who has your address in their email address book has the virus. The virus is using your address as the "from" address when sending itself out to the world.
    A number of ISPs will notify you when they have blocked an infected email with "your" from address in the message. I have recieved this messages myself on several occasions. I can assure everyone that "my pipes are clean!"
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I had trouble with lots of junk email at work this week. I thought I had the virus on one of my computers. Turned out I didn't. This is one of the trickier ones, because one of the junk emails even appeared to come from my own work email address.

No junk emails here at home except the usual solicitation garbage.

These guys are definitely keeping the antivirus software industry alive!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Same thing happening here. I am getting several of these a day plus quite a few emails with the virus either already removed and noted by my ISP or snagged by Nortons on my system.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It's been happening to me as well.
  • Same Same

Mark
  • THROW Norton in the bin and get a decent virus scanner - Either PC-Cillin or Ontrack Fix-It-Utilities image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Same story here. They came from unknown people/addresses. My computer wasn't infected, however.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • I suggest, if you recognize an address that may be coin related, that a warning should be posted here.
    The infected computer owner(s) may not be aware that they have been violated. As the 'sender' addresses are in the infected person's address book then the unknowingly infected person might be found by crossreferencing these message 'originator' addresses.
    For instance, I got one today 'from' jim@colonialacres.com. If someone has that address in their address book then there is a possibility that they may be infected and may have sent it.
    If you get one from 'yourself' then someone that has your address in their address book sent it.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    DEATH TO HACKER TYPES!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, even death doesn't stop some.....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • I heard on the news that there is a $250,000 reward out for finding the one or ones responsible for the latest email worm. If those warped mind or minds who created the worm would use their talents for the good of mankind, can you imagine what progress they could make for us?

• Here are the coin related ones that I've received:

bob@coinfacts.com
    steve@coinscurrency.com
    adam@hobby-supplies.com
    virgilbr@hobby-supplies.com
    moorecoins@aol.com
    sales@worldcoinsexplorer.com

Anyone have these listed in their address book?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile