Home U.S. Coin Forum

I WANT TO BE A GRADER

When do I start?

Comments

• I wonder how far they recruit? Do they only recruit from those local to PCGS HQ or will they offer a relocation package to get you there if you are good enough? The number of qualified candidates from the indigenous population around PCGS cannot be too high.

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • Don't know. How much do they make?
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    David Hall said that they pay graders $250,000.00 per year.

Tom
    Tom

• Forget it then. I'll start my own grading service.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    LUCKOFTHEIRISH Slabs eh????

I'll submitt a Frankie or two...... But if you misgrade, you better watch your 'frankies'........

cause.................. POW!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I'll start off at seven bucks per coin, and they will be returned in seven days or your money back.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Remember, many of the people who would be qualified for that job make more than $250K working elsewhere in the industry. If you want the job, enter the grading World Series at one of the upcoming big shows and get about 75% or more right. That ought to put you in the running.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• You'll need the Luckofhteirish to get the graded accurately in 7 days!!

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine that the list of qualified candidates is fairly small.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Go to Long Beach, win the World Series of Grading and then maybe you can prove you can grade something other than Die Cracked coins!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• They can train me for half that amount. Who do I send my resume to?
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I doubt they train you. The idea is that the graders are qualified when they are hired.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• The graders should have a apprentice.
    They already have a whipping boy, his name is CAMMY!!!image

• I am not a grader, not do I work for PCGS.

Cameron Kiefer
    But your still the Whipping Boy!!!!

• Yes I am.image Only because I like sample slabs. I'll be laughing at all you guys in 10 years when prices soar.

Cameron Kiefer
    We won't be holding our collective breaths!!!

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    "I WANT TO BE A GRADER"

Get in line!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Are you kidding? 8 hours a day of mind numbing reviews of thousands of coins - a new one every 10 seconds? Go for it, but it's not for me. It's not like you find a PR68 DCAM Double Eagle, head to the water cooler and talk about it for 5 minutes. It sounds really grueling. I like a job that has more people interaction.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Blade is right. It would be a cool job at first, but after grading the 10,000th Kennedy half I'd probably be ready for a stint in a padded cell myself.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file