Home U.S. Coin Forum

Flying Eagle experts -- What's up with this 1857?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found this 1857 FE, and I am curious about the repunching/doubling on it. When I first looked at it, I saw what appears to be a dramatic repunching of the date. However, when I put it under the scope, I also noticed apparent doubling on "UNITED," which leads me to believe that the the date is not repunched, but rather some type of mechanical doubling. I'm not familiar enough with this series to make a call. I have looked through Snow's book, and there is no variety identified that is similar.

As always, any help is most appreciated.

Doug

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think it is strike doubling. Pretty dramatic too.
    Would hate to say it carries no premium but thats usually what the big guys always say.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only red x's there. Can you fix??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I can't see the pics either.image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Those flyers all have red "X" 's all over them...image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the links. Apparently the "free" service on yahoo doesn't let you link to the files you put in "My Documents."
    Doug
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    the serifs are not doubled so not repunched/doubling for me

michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file