Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Eagle Indian Head..Counterfeit????

Can someone tell me how to tell if a gold coin is counterfeit? Is it possible for gold coins to be counterfeit?? Thanks!

Comments

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, gold coins can and are counterfeited. The best way is to be familiar with what a genuine one looks like. Some counterfeits are very good. Most are made with real gold. One type that is easier to tell then others is one that is cast. Another give away would be ones that have tiny lumps on the fields from spark erosion counterfeits. If you want to buy genuine gold, buy PCGS graded ones and it will GREATLY lessen your chance of getting a counterfeit.

Tom
    Tom

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many ways depending upon what counterfeit method was used. Weight is usually the dead giveaway.

Is it possible to counterfeit gold coins?

You betchyersweetass it is!
  • Gold coins are the easiest and most profitable coins to counterfeit. Easy because gold has the lowest melting temp of any coin base metal so you don't need to be a rocket scientist with a lot of expensive equipment to do it; most profitable for obvious reasons. There are some really good fakes out there so you need to be careful. Just as you'd bring a used car to a mechanic before you'd buy it if you're buying from an individual vs an authorized dealer, make sure you get an expert opinion from a reputable coin dealer before you buy a gold coin if it isn't slabbed.

-Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • It depends on the coin, but if it is a circ 2 1/2 or 5 indian, spin it on a flat surface like a top. If it spins it is fake, if not it is most likely real.
  • Can you determine if it is fake by pictures?
  • Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you determine if it is fake by pictures? >>
      sometimes- if it is a poor enough counterfeit you can tell from a photo. Post a picture if you can. mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file