Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this die deterioration or something else? <----Look an actual coin question! :D

I went to the bank today and got 17 rolls (that's all they had) of half dollars. I only found 3 silver clads in the whole mess - but one roll was an original mint roll of 1994D halves - I thought that was kinda interesting - so I opened them. most of the coins were of the MS64 variety - typically nice looking, but with bangs on the face. Anyway, 3 of the coins looked exactly like the one pictured here. I say exactly because all three coins had a distinctive die crack running from Kennedy's chin, between the O and D of GOD, and to the edge. What was unusual was that all three coins displayed an obverse which looked extremely beat up, but the reverses were almost pristine. I wonder what caused this? Maybe some of you more learned on minting operations can shed some light. Thanks!

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet the three fell heads up onto the bottom of the collection container where the coins are kicked out of the exact same dies. The obverse sides then took repeated hits from other coins falling on top of them while the reverse was protected face down.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    yes. it's called the "bearded goddess"

K S
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess it's just luck of the draw.

The marking is probably planchet scratching and damage which survived the striking
    process. One side of the clad strip can get banged up while the other side remains
    clean. If this is the case here then you'll see the copper core of the strip was all push-
    ed the same direction when the strip was blanked. It appears the pictured coin had
    the copper pushed toward what became the obverse so if this is the case then the ot-
    her two should also.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file