Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greattoning --3-- and keets --2-- !!!!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
At the recent F.U.N. Show i sneaked into the NGC luncheon and ended up, unbeknownst to me, sitting next to eBay seller Greattoning. Oh yeah, GMarguli was two seats away which was kind of neat!! But back to the topic at hand.........After we ate, i was passing around some show-and-tell coins and Greattoning remarked that he had three of the counterstamped Cleveland commemorative coins from 1941. That really perked me up and we discussed them a bit. Recently I had the oppurtunity to acquire a second coin and it arrived in the mail this morning. Think about it, there was a total of 100 coins produced and subsequent Secret Service intervention whittled that number down to between 25 and 40, depending on who's supplying the answer to the question. I happened to meet Anthony Swiatek at the show and he tends to lean toward the low side. Either way, we have chanced to own approximately 10%-20% of the extant population.

Hopefully I can get Greattoning to bring his coins to this years ANA Convention in Pittsburgh for a "Group Photo" and maybe some die study of the counterstamp. My new acquisition is in a custom holder and appears to be MS65-66 with a soft frosty texture, overall light gold tone and minimal marks. With regards to the marks, maybe kranky will chime in about how the c'stamp hides them since it's covering the primary contact areas. I enjoy seeing his blood-pressure go up a few notches!!!!image

The new coin is in the top two pictures. Enjoy!!

Al H.image

Comments

• I think your Cleveland's are a great piece of commemorative history, Al.

And I actually love the holder this new one is displayed in.

Very cool. Keep and cherish them. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Hey Al - that's pretty cool - all of these were made in 1941?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Frank and Clankimage

all were made in 1941 which probably accounts for the fact that all i've seen have had nice clean surfaces with strong luster. Mr. Swiatek made no bones about his perception that the 1941 coins are genuine, but he expressed doubts about the 1971 version and outright skepticism about those made in 1996. evidentally the club members had no problem locating gems in 1941. ironically, both the coins i have came to me in some type of Capital holder and the company is located about 35 miles south of Cleveland. i may try to get some history on exactly how old Capital Plastics is at the ANA and show them the holders i have.

BTW, this latest coin arrived on my doorstep from Iowa, quite a long way from it's origin. on a humorous note, i showed my examples to Larry Briggs from SEGS at a show in Cleveland last summer asking an opinion and how often he sees them. "All the time when I'm up here" was his spurious answer. there just aren't enough of them around to be seen frequently. heck, i look for them and have only seen one besides the two i have. i also think i'll catch Greattoning 'in the bottom of the ninth' because i have the home field advantage!!!image

al h.image
  • Al,

That coin was just to nice to leave it sitting in the display case of that Iowa dealer image

I found it shortly after you posted a thread about them and thought of you as soon as I seen it...

I'm glad that you like it and I'll let you know if I should happen to find another one.

Thanks for the great transaction.

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I remember yopu showing those coins at the NGC lunch. Very cool coins.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Al,

Greattoning kind of "hid his light under a bushel" at the luncheon, didn't he? I wonder how many of us at the table knew who he was?
    Gary
    hey Gary

i met him at the ANA and recognized the face, but there are so many sellers/members with "tone" in their names that i have trouble sorting them out. hiding even better was Marguli, not what i expected. you and the Missus still in the bright sun??

al h.image
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Very neat CS Cleveland. I think the holder is special as well. Greattoning always has some nice stuff. NICE dude!!
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • I was at the table, two people down from Gereg and didn't know half of the people at the table. We should have had everyone quickly go through their names in the room.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Al,

Yep. It was only 67 degrees here in Daytona Beach today, Brrrr! We are heading back to buckeyeland next Wednesday.

Cameron, that is a great idea...just a bit too late.image
    Gary
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I never said that! I think what I said was it seemed impossible to grade them because of the location of the counterstamp. Take an AU58 - WHAM! One counterstamp later, MS63! image

Do you think all the extant examples are in mini-hoards like you and Greattoning have? They are pretty cool. Probably the most widely-known thing ever done by a local coin club was counterstamping those commems.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Having known greattoning for many years, I can say it is appropriate and desirable that he "hide his face."imageimageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    Do you think all the extant examples are in mini-hoards like you and Greattoning have?

hey Jim

image funny you should say that!! while me and Richard were talking he mentioned that he once imagined being able to get them all, or at least all he could find, and he must have hit a brick wall after three. i can tell you that it's ocurred to me that i should seek out and buy whatever i can locate. that's probably just a Numismatic quirk, the fantasy idea of cornering some segment of the hobby. i remember a thread somebody posted about that idea.

i'm on a hot streak, two in nine months. if anybody locates one i can obtain, i'll gladly pay a finders fee!image

al h.image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Greg when I met Cameron, but he didn't say anything to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file