Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got my civil war token from Heritage...COOL

Picked this up in the last bullet auction ($88 plus 15%). it's an r-8, (becasuse it's copper nickle)5-10 know and NGC MS66. Could it be the nicest? 5-10 must count all grades...for a hundred bucks. Maybe this is over looked today but confederate currency was worth squat not long ago. This is something to forget about for awhile. I don't think I've ever owned a MS66 anything (well, maybe something modern), there is something to say for near perfection.

Comments

• Thats a nice one! I just bought a New York Civil War Token today as a matter of fact. (23 Spring Street-Mitnacht's)
    God I Love Indian Head Cents more than any other coin!
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I think civil war tokens are awesome!! Just dont know too much about them.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful token!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    DAMN! I was thinking of bidding on that exact same token and forgot about it. Got too wrapped up in other lots.

$88 plus juice is image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    crack it out! can't hardly see the danged thing

K S
  • Dorkkarl
    I would need two for you to see it. One in front of each eye.
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    That's neat!

What were they used for?

• Merchant money and a hedge on the civil war (incase the Union lost I suppose)
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Being copper-nickel, was it struck over a cent? Are there any traces of an flying eagle/indian cent on it?

Tom
    Tom

• Good question if CN, because most tokens I have seen are all copper I think
  • I see no traces of an Indian cent but it looks like something was done before striking. It has heavy striations on the unstruct rims and shows less on the struck parts, maybe an indian cent was wiped out before striking.
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    Its an excellent example, very patriotic. I would strongly recommend that you get the Feuld reference book if you are developing a stronger interest in these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file