Home U.S. Coin Forum

When toning begins on a coin, is it obvious that it will be killer or ugly?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
A question I have always wondered about.

When a coin begins to take on color, is it immediately obvious that the coin is going to have really good eye appeal or will be a blotchy piece of shiit? Or, do some blotchy coins actually evolve into beautiful swans?

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    my opinion is that you can usually take a pretty good guess.

K S
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>my opinion is that you can usually take a pretty good guess.

K S >>

yea, like he saidimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question. It's one that would be very difficult to answer with any authority
    without a great deal of study over a long period of time. I've never known anyone
    who is good at this sort of knowledge.

With some tarnish it would probably be apparent to someone who is more obser-
    vant and has more experience than I. Some problems develop very rapidly like car-
    bon spots on copper, but most take many years and probably looks much different
    at each stage.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    If it starts out dark & ugly toning then it will grow up to be a dark & ugly toned coin.
    If it starts out with light colorful tone then chances are it will stay that way.
    Butt butt sometime I've seen them start out with light plum or purple periph from a Dansco or other holder and I say man that's going to be pretty but then the purple turns brown, then dark brown, then almost black and it's not so pretty.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • a new expression... watching a coin tone.. kind of like watching paint dry... or waiting for water to boil, huh...
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Or watching the grass grow!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Dog. If it starts out with ugly toning then it be an ugly toned coin. If it starts out with light colorful toning then it likely will stay that way until the toning becomes too heavy.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If tonecoin is doing it, you can be assured it'll be ugly... fast
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    I wonder if anybody has ever done a study of photos of a coin as it toned from year to year, month to month or whatever. You know, like those time lapse photos of the flowers opening and closing? Only it would have to be a long time.
    DSW
  • It all depends how hot the propane torch is. image
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file