Home U.S. Coin Forum

Off Topic - Economics

There are a lot of folks here with a thoughtful opinions on the topic of economics, as an earlier thread attests. No, the topic is not directly related to coin collecting but not so far afield. After all, if we're in a hard asset bull market as I believe we've been for several years, coins are a good way to play it.

Anyway, below I reprint an article that was published today by the world's most important bond trader, Bill Gross. Why publish it? Many of you will agree with what he says. He's preaching to the quire here. But this is Bill Gross talking. He manages Pacific Investment Management Co., the world's largest bond fund manager, with more than $350 billion in assets, the most successful bond fund in the world. Bonds do well when inflation is low. He's saying that if current conditions persist, PIMCO's bond fund will do poorly. In other words, he has nothing to sell. He's issuing an important warning. Listen to him.

-Atomic

What, We Worry? Yes.

By William H. Gross
Tuesday, January 13, 2004; Page A17

The United States is overextended, not just militarily but economically. We are trying to do too much, borrow too much, spend too much, and sooner or later we will have to suffer the consequences. We are a country in the beginning stages of what can best be described as hegemonic decay. Empires take decades if not centuries to wither, a process more clearly viewed through a rearview mirror; Edward Gibbon's masterful account of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire is perhaps the greatest example of this truth. But here and now, we're much less inclined to Gibbon's viewpoint than we are to Alfred E. Newman's. "What, we worry?" is pretty much the national motto when it comes to our finance-based economy and its future prospects.

Let me approach this predicament from a more personal angle -- by comparing a large nation to a typical U.S. family. Pretend that you're a head or co-head of a household. You earn a good salary, but it never seems to be enough. There are bills to pay, the Joneses to keep up with, and you've had your eye on that goofy Hummer for at least a few months now. You'd like to save money, but you can't or you won't, so you don't. As a matter of fact, each year for the past decade or so you've had to borrow 4, 5, 6 percent of your annual income to pay for what you want. You're running a personal deficit. But that's still okay, you figure. You're strong, vibrant, prospects are good, and there's no way you shouldn't be able to handle it. You can grow your way out of current liabilities and have more than enough to pay for future obligations such as college for the kids, that faraway retirement for you and your spouse, and health care, if that should ever come up. And your creditors undoubtedly will see it the same way. They know a good risk when they see one.

But then something happens. Your company's prospects sour, your pay raises virtually vanish, your health deteriorates, your family life sours -- who knows? With no savings and a boatload of debt, the wheels all go into reverse. Creditors are not so friendly. Not only will they not lend you that 6 percent of your salary every year but they want a higher interest rate on what you've already borrowed.

The United States is strikingly similar to the Alfred E. Newmans just described. It's strong and vibrant, with a future seemingly as bright as that of any country on the planet. Productivity is soaring, markets are recovering, its salary (or gross domestic product) shows decent increases almost every year. It goes wherever it wants to go, its Humvees symbolic of global military domination. Where's the decay in this hegemony?

Well, maybe I'm just pessimistic because I'm a Californian, and currently the state of California is not good. But California is 15 percent of this country, and it's a trendsetter in more ways than fashion, Hollywood and tongue rings. It has a huge deficit based on overspending that was in turn based on the anticipation that booming financial markets and their capital gains would continue indefinitely.

The United States is in a similar predicament. For years Americans have wanted to save money, but the savings rate has hovered close to zero. They have depended on those 1990s capital gains to give the impression that their liquid assets were on the rise. And they have had to borrow 4, 5, 6 percent of their annual income (GDP) to pay for what they wanted. Economists call that the trade deficit.

Add to that new evidence that our government's budget deficit is hitting new highs, with few prospects for improvement as President Bush and his economic team claim this is an investment in America, and after all, "we owe it to ourselves." Such nonsense belongs in Mad magazine. The $450 billion is paying for overconsumption, for Hummers in L.A. and Humvees in Iraq, and we increasingly owe it to foreign creditors. "I.M.F. Warns That U.S. Debt Is Threatening Global Stability," read a front-page headline in the New York Times last week. It is plain for all to see that we are living beyond our ability to pay if things go awfully wrong.

Could they? Typically, the spending-savings discipline necessary to right such a fiscal ship has to come from the outside. It's the creditors who say no. And their discipline has already started. Bond market vigilantes have suddenly recoiled in horror at the U.S. budget deficit and the failure of the Fed to guarantee its funding at exorbitantly low interest rates. In turn, foreign creditors have for more than a year been liquidating dollars in favor of other countries' currencies.

But despite the resultant higher interest rates and cheaper dollar these actions imply, our country's economy appears to be chugging right along. So where's the big, bad wolf in this story? Well, in addition to future domestically induced bond market sell-offs destroying the housing market, and a finance-based economy inexorably slowing down as restrictively higher yields work their historical magic, the fulcrum of a future creditor-based revolt probably rests in Beijing rather than in New York or Washington.

Because China's monthly trade surplus of $10 billion-plus with the United States implies a $120 billion annual addition to its dollar reserves, there will come a time when its hundreds of billions in holdings of U.S. notes and bonds look a tad too risky. In turn, the hundreds of billions that Japan and other Asian countries have been buying to keep their currencies competitive with the Chinese yuan and the U.S. dollar will be subject to a sanity check as well. At some point our Asian creditors will wake up and smell the coffee. Perhaps there will be dollar or Treasury note sell-offs or a revaluation of the yuan and then the yen. In any event, we pay the price: higher import costs, a cutback in spending on cheap foreign goods, rising inflation, perhaps chaotic financial markets, a lower standard of living.

China's willingness to buy our bonds, and its philosophy of fixing its currency to the U.S. dollar, will one day be tested. And should it lose patience, all its neighboring Asian states will move in near unison. U.S. interest rates will rise, our goods in the malls and the showrooms will be less affordable, and the process of national belt tightening and increased savings will have begun.

Are the Newmans worrying yet? Not if they bought stocks six months ago. Not if they refinanced their home in early June or bought that Hummer with zero-percent financing.

But they will.

The writer is founder and managing director of Pacific Investment Management Co. (PIMCO).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11575-2004Jan12.html

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.
- Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot

Comments

• wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    The economy has and always will be a function of psychology and consumer confidence. Morale and faith in infrastructure and our leadership is always something that drives our economy on a subconscious level. The only real and tangible aspect is the one that the consumer and -joepublic- can relate to on a personal level.
    This is why every four years every single candidate for the nomination dumbs down his speech as we get closer to the election. It is something that has to be communicated on a fifth grade level, which is the average reading and comprehension level of the populace.
    If you go into GDP,GNP, and CPI, you will loose most people. Propaganda is an effective way to communicate with the public. I asked three people at work if they knew what type of government Iran had. Two said that they didn't know that Iran had a government and one said that it was a Persian King. The mullas and the iatollas are very happy right now. I asked a few more if the knew who Howard Dean was. One said a senator running for Congress, the other said he was an NBC news anchor.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked three people at work if they knew what type of government Iran had. Two said that they didn't know that Iran had a government and one said that it was a Persian King. The mullas and the iatollas are very happy right now. I asked a few more if the knew who Howard Dean was. One said a senator running for Congress, the other said he was an NBC news anchor.

Brian - You work at PCGS? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    Andy:
    I could never live or work in California. The firearms laws are too restrictive.image
    Mr. Gross makes some good points. Nevertheless, he's mixing apples and oranges. Our nation's growth prospects are sufficient to allow budget deficits. (Doesn't mean we should waste money like we're doing, but that's a different issue.) On the other hand, many consumers are out on a limb.

Would I short the dollar? No. But I would consider shorting the companies extending credit to consumers. Somehow, I expect that they have underestimated their risks.
    Andy Lustig

• Here here Winged!!

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • A few of the states that have the worst deficits; California, New York, Florida,
    are states with the highest illegal population. They are forced to deal with
    health, educational, and other social expenses with little help from the Federal
    Government.
    The President, on the other hand, wants to open the borders, allowing more
    foreigners to easily walk in , with the whole family.

Now, with the healthcare insurance situation running 10% plus per year,
    and the average American getting a 2% income raise per year, how can
    the Administration hope to fund the medical costs for all the "immigrants"
    that will pour in without cutting into the taxpayer's income ?

Come on !! Where does this money come from ?
    I'm having enough trouble paying my own bills and taxes and paying for
    my herion addict nextdoor neighbor's kids !

Now I have to rebuild Iraq, Afghanistan, and send aid to whatever country
    has a natural disaster.
    Sorry Mr. President, this dog don't feel up to hunting no more !

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The govt is helping to scrounge up some more dough (about $500 MILL) by ceasing to pay interest on 30 year T-bonds issued in 1979 at 9.1% interest. As of May 15th 2004, those bonds cease to earn interest as Uncle Sam has turned his back on the holders (mostly individuals) of those. The $500 MILL saved over the next 5 years should buy a few extra mil-speced toilet seats for Iraq or help fund the Congressional Pensions. Things are looking up.....just another nice way of saying thanks for your support of the govt.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭
    Bill Gross--hands down stud. I remember maybe 1-2 years ago when he made an offhand negative comment about GM's bond rating on CNBC (GM is also the parent company of CNBC) and GM's debt issue was almost instantly downgraded. The guy certainly commands alot of respect. I invested in his pimco low duration bond fund when the Fed started lowering interest rates a few years back, made an awesome return, especially when alot of stocks and most mutual funds were tanking. Only wish I didn't wimp out so soon----I think I got nervous about how low rates were going and sold out after the 5th rate cut....wish I had known there was going to be 12 or 13 cuts!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my livelyhood were based on the sale of government bonds then I'd be pessimistic too.
    The US has severe structural problems and decaying institutions. In the long run these will
    prove fatal if these trends are not checked. Perhaps the current economy is based on sen-
    timent and psychology but these can turn sour quickly if the lights go out or the stores run
    out of food. While the economy is improving and the greatest dangers from our weaknesses
    seem to lie in the future there are no gaurantees that some instabilities could derail us sooner
    rather than later. It is far past time to begin the necessary changes but as is usually the case
    no one wants to upset the status quo until there is convincing proof that there is no alternative.
    In a modern economy that will prove even more to late than it did to many of the cultures
    which have come and gone before us.
    Tempus fugit.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Add this to worry about. Jobs by the droves are leaving the US for Southeast Asia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and soon, China. That telemarketer who calls you at night is calling from Bangladesh because world long distance rates are so low. Professional jobs like accounting, software design and data input are steadily flowing there too. Retail has consolidated in this country into fewer and fewer viable chains -- we live in a Costo Walmart mentality -- eveything is discounted. On line sales over the internet can be conducted from anywhere.

China has over a billion people -- the person they admire most is Bill Gates. They are going to all want to buy the nice toys we have, but, guess what, they'll manufacture them in China and keep the profits.

There are hundreds of millions of young people living in Muslim countries from Morocco to Indonesia who have been raised to hate the US and all we stand for -- they have no hopes of getting real jobs with dignity which will allow them to live like the rest of the world they see on TV. They are being taught that it is most noble to strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up if they can take a bunch of Westerners with them -- how long until they bring that over to the US and how will we react when they do?

Would you run a business very long paying workers $8, 10, 20 per hour when you can have the same work done by people standing in line to do it for a couple of dollars a week?

Where are all the middle-management jobs for our college kids when they come out of school to cut their teeth on?

Our federal govt. is truly spending like a drunken sailor -- we have run up deficits over just the last few years that our grandchildren will be paying off, if they have jobs. Higher education is being priced out of the stratosphere and loan, scholarship and grant money is drying up. California, my home state, will literally run of out of money this coming June and we won't be able to borrow any more because we are already at junk bond status -- unless the $15 billion dollar bond measure is passed in March.

We are spending unprecedented amounts for military and security -- every orange level we hit costs cities and counties a fortune as law enforcement has to work on an emergency basis.

The current administration has raised $87 billion for Iraq and that probably won't last the year, then they'll need more. Pork barrel spending is setting new highs. We are going back to the moon and then on to Mars -- thats another trillion or more.

This country is like never balancing your checkbook and keeping on writing those checks.

You might be able to tell . . . I don't have a good feeling about what is coming after this election year. Keep your powder dry, stockpile your precious metals and hang on folks, we are in for a bumpy ride.
    DSW
  • Holy Sheet. this is a mouthful. So if romans bought gold there would still be roman empire? If we buy gold all is saved? Gold will solve all these problems?
  • The only way to get us out of this is to create more wealth than we spend. By wealth I mean real tangible additions to the economy and sell these to other countries. We need to sell cars, planes, computers, and software to other countries and keep the jobs in the US. Wall Street is IMO hurting us more than helping. By giving the constant rush to lower costs every quarter companies do what is best for themselves (understandably), they lower costs by shipping good jobs overseas. My brothers company (Veritas) is shipping nearly everything but corporate management to India. The only reason he did not loose his job is that they can't ship 32 proc systems to india due to national security issues.

Lester Thurow wrote a great book in the 1990's entitled "The future of Capitalism". It is still valid in today's world. Everyone should read it.

Brian
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps i run with a different crowd, but most of the people i talk with are blue collar and not at all confident with the state of affairs in America. it's almost as though they're waiting for the other shoe to drop and that may ocurr sooner than later. this will be an interesting election, interesting lead-up to November. already i hear the Democrats talking about issues having to do with social structure and the welfare of the average citizen in America while Bush continues to harp on terrorism and problems overseas, problems which should be handled by those overseas, JMHO. i believe America's breaking point will be overextending our borders to be the world overseer.

al h.image
    It really makes no difference who is elected. Most of the candidates are part of the CFR establishment and many belonged to the Skull & Bones Fraternity. Most consider themselves part of the American Aristocracy. Many can trace their routes back to the Mayflower or Jamestown. They crave power just like any other politician. Their goal is the total enslavement of mankind through the UN world government and the world view. Rupert Murdoch, George Bush Sr. George Will, Brian Williams of NBC, Al Gore, Dick Chenney. Whether its Fox media, Haliburton Oil, whatever., they are in power and always will always hunger for more and will always thirst to control others to get attention. It has and always will be about " Here I am, look at me!".
    The only things standing between them and total world domination is our love for God and the 2nd ammendment. Their goal is to open the borders, flood the nation with illiterate future voters, create a world economy based on an ignorant consumer and then hold power. As Lucius once said in the great
    book "Life during Wartime", ...." Its always the same story, Four Romans dead, and five Carthaginians"

Their goal is the total enslavement of mankind through the UN world government and the world view.

Uh oh. Are slaves allowed to collect coins?

Andy Lustig

• LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Winged Liberty -- that's dark dude. Very dark. Not that I disagree.
    DSW
    Here are economics today.

1. Early 80's, Donald Rhumsfeld goes to Bagdad to sell long range NBC (Nuclear/Biological/Chemical) artillery shells to Saddam Hussein to keep Iahtollah Khomeini of Iran at bay.

2. Rumsfeld enjoys the gracious hospitallity of "The evil dictator". The presidential palace even
    gives him a nice suite.

3. 2004: Same artillery shells are now WMDs.(Weapons of Mass Destruction)

4. Saddamm Hussein: " Can I have my money back?"

5. The French: " Por Qua?" "Les etaje mi duo British Aerospace o Aerospatiale?"

6. MSNBC: Brian Williams. "The evil dictator has been caught in a spider hole"

Now , thats economics!
  • A system of government characterized by tight legal and political integration of corporate and government control of a nation's citizens is the definition of a fascist state. We are a long way off still, yet my European friends view developments here with alarm. They have experienced fascist states. Once law restricting freedoms are in place, no one dares try to fight them and the authoritarian administration creates ever more restrictive laws to re-inforce its power. The system becomes self-reinforcing. So it can't be allowed to get started. It starts with lying at high levels of the government, acts of retaliation by the government against those who call leaders on their lies, intimidation of lesser members of government into keeping quiet about it and of the press so that the lying goes on uncontested. Who in the press besides PBS's Frontline is taking them on? No major corporate news agency. When you see the press cower in the face of governmental dishonesty and corruption, you need fear for your freedom. This is how a fascist state is born. Which is not to say that the US will develop into one, but this is how they start.
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot
    atomic:
    All the more reason to buy more common date gold XF Libs and Saints.

• "A system of government characterized by tight legal and political integration of corporate and government control of a nation's citizens is the definition of a fascist state. We are a long way off still, yet my European friends view developments here with alarm. They have experienced fascist states. Once law restricting freedoms are in place, no one dares try to fight them and the authoritarian administration creates ever more restrictive laws to re-inforce its power. The system becomes self-reinforcing. So it can't be allowed to get started. It starts with lying at high levels of the government, acts of retaliation by the government against those who call leaders on their lies, intimidation of lesser members of government into keeping quiet about it and of the press so that the lying goes on uncontested. Who in the press besides PBS's Frontline is taking them on? No major corporate news agency. When you see the press cower in the face of governmental dishonesty and corruption, you need fear for your freedom. This is how a fascist state is born. Which is not to say that the US will develop into one, but this is how they start." --atomic

This describes the US situation for at least 30 years, and it's been getting progressively worse and worse. Helloooooooooooooo!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file